NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

hi i'm new to all this and would like some tips

hi everyone, i'm new to this, i have a scope, its 76mm diameter reflecter, not too expensive, got it few yrs ago from lidl but never had time to get it out, now i can and i'm very interested but i have no idea where to start. i had it out tonight as the sky is so clear but i'm having trouble adjusting it, i see through the finderscope but see nothing in the main one. is there any tips anyone can give me, i have no idea where to look either. all comments welcome =)

Hi,

Do you have some eyepieces with the scope ?

If you do, I'd suggest using the one with the highest number in mm on it (example: 20mm). This gives the lowest magnification with the scope but thats good for getting used to it.

You also need to align the finder scope with the main scope (ie: make sure thay are both pointing exactly in the same direction). Do this in daytime with a distant object such as a church spire, telegraph pole etc - it needs to be at least a couple of hundred meters away. Get your object in the main scope with the lowest magnification eyepiece (see above) then adjust the finder, using the screws that tilt it, so that the finder is looking at the same object.

Then you can point the scope at night using the finder and have some confidence that the scope is pointing at the same thing finder is.

"Where to look" - get a copy of Sky at Night for a monthly description of what's up. This is a great place to start learning where everything is and it builds your knowledge nicely over a year.

Finding the stuff is easy - download a copy of "Stellarium" - it's free and you can search for the object you want to view.

Generally - learn the shapes of the constellations - these will put you close to your chosen objects - then a short star hop and you're there. Start with polaris, casiopea, orion (lots to see in that one), leo, virgo, and pegasus. Suggestions for the current sky - Jupiter, pliedes, M31 andromeda, M42 in Orion. These are all naked eye objects in a dark location so should be easy to find with a scope.

Hope that helps :D

The scope isn't big but it is a scope.

My question is do you know many or any of the "main" constellations?

We could recommend things but if someone says try the double cluster in Perseus, it would help if you knew Perseus.

By the way don't ask me to identify that one, I could but only from finding Casseiopia, and a bit of guess work.

Next is to get your scope out and get used to it, that way you will get some idea of it's capabilities.

As mentioned you will need to align the finder and the scope so that they point at the same thing.

Further information on the scope and eyepieces would be useful.

Oh yes, what are you interested in looking at?

Also roughly where are you, not exact, just something like the county. Just easier to offer advice if you decide to ask for a local club or meetings etc.

hi again. yes i've managed to align my scope so hopefully tonight will be clear skies!

i'm interested in everything in the sky, planets, galaxies, space stations.. i wanna see it all!

my eye pieces, i have a 12.5mm a 4mm and a 'moon filter' (not too sure what that does) i want to invest in more but i think i need to learn how to use the ones i got 1st.

as for constellations, i know the orion belt, cassiopeia, i know venus and mars, but thats about it, i have installed stellarium so that will help me out a lot i think.

do i have to learn about degrees and altitude ect, i never was very good in maths.

oh and i'm in lincolnshire.

thanks again for all your comments x

Lincoln's a nice area for viewing - and you have a good start on learning constellations and planets. You may find stuff hard to find with your current ep's (depending on the scope make/model) - we'd need that to advise further. What you need is a lower power wider field ep. Something like a 20-30mm plossl will make the task much easier. The moon filter lowers the glow from the moon which can be very bright in the ep. Let us know what scope you have and we can be more specific :D

(ps the space station may be difficult in anything but binocs - it's difficult to track a scope at that speed)

i dont think it has a make, it says on the case reflector telescope 262 power 'science tech' it was a cheap one i got from lidl years ago, you can see the moon really nicely though, i think i'm gonna learn everything and then invest in a more expensive one

OK, The big bright thing in the south is Jupiter. Worth a look through any scope. If the image is fair then you should see a disk, a belt and somewhere either side a few moons.

M31, Andromeda, is a "standard". If you use the "steep" V of Casseiopia as an arrow it points to it. It is a very faint patch so don't expect it to stand out.

If Orion appears while you are out then the Orion nebula is an obvious one.

If you follow Orions belt to the right, and possibly upwards at this time of year, then you pass an orange star (Aldebaran) then bump into the open cluster of Plaeides, (M45).

If you can identify Cygnus then at the "head" end is Albireo, a nice coloured double star. Cygnus is basically overhead of us, sometimes called the Northern cross. The bright star is Deneb and is the "tail" of Cygnus, Albireo is at the other end. The stars between the tail and the head are a bit dim.

If there are any numbers or figures on the scope it would help as I suspct that the eyepieces you have may need supplimenting and either the f number or the focal length would be nice.

there was no instructions or anything in the case when i came across it, i think i may have lost them, but here is a link to the exact same scope as mine and all the specs are here for it. Science Tech Reflector Telescope 262 Power with case for sale

i really want to buy some better eye pieces, are they universal?

OK, 700mm focal length and 3 eyepieces.

The eyepiece specification say 31.5 mm so they are the "standard 1.25" variety.

At 76mm dia it makes it f/9.2

This assumes that it is a match to the one linked.

The 20mm EP will give a magnification of 35x,

the 12.5 will give 56x,

and the 4mm will give 175x. (Too much for the scope)

Hope that the 20mm and the 12.5mm give a good view.

I suspect that the 4mm gives a poor view, I think it is simply too short and the magnification will be too much.

If the 20 and 12,5 are Ok then I suggest a 10mm and a 30 or 32mm. The 10mm for reasonable magnification, the 32/30 for wide views.

Read that it has a 1.5x erecting prism, again I suspect that it may not be much use. It is acting as a magnifier and also erecting the image. I would guess that the end result is a not overly sharp image.

At f/9.2 it shouldn't be too bad for chromatic aberation.

If you decide to get an eyepiece or two then the normal plossl's should be fine, the GSO ones seem the come out as decent quality for the price (£30-35).

A word of warning this hobby can get expensive.

Did you find any of the things mentioned?

Locate Jupiter with the 20 and then use the 12.5 if they are half decent.

Seems a reasonable scope so have fun.

OK, 700mm focal length and 3 eyepieces.

The eyepiece specification say 31.5 mm so they are the "standard 1.25" variety.

Ahem - yes Capricorn, you're correct - Michael didn't read the description properly :)

hi guys, i'm loving the stellarium software and yes i've been looking at jupiter, i'm on a mission to see the great nebula in andromeda. the moon tonight it fantastic, i tried my 20mm ep, i think its about as good as i'm going to get with the equiptment i've got, but i think its ok to learn with, and boy do i have a lot to learn!

i've seen a scope on the net for £1,500!!! now thats an investment!

thanks again for all your comments and advice

Glad you like Stellarium Katie. I would suggest you start saving - you can get a really good 6" first scope for around £200 (give or take £50). The one you have is really very basic and you'd benefit greatly from a proper instrument. Meanwhile - join a local astronomy society or pop along to an open observing evening and get a look through some scopes and ep's to see what you feel you might like.

All the best :)

Don't think anyone's mentioned that if you do go for a better scope don't go to a dept store or toy store, go to a telescope shop, they won't sell you a scope that claims 262x mag when it can barely handle half that, also they'll tell you the right scope for what you want to see and what you'll realiscticly see in it, not just the one they'll have the biggest markup on! There's a certain link on top of every page here, that's the sort of place to go (or ring!) Or if you go for second hand then ask on here!

Clear skies

Hi K8e

I just upgraded my sons 76mm scope to a celestron 130slt and just starting out too see youre not too far away in Lincs and there appear to be a few people in this neck of the woods :)

Hi Tink, yeah i'm south lincs, are you local?

i've seen a scope on the net for £1,500!!! now thats an investment!

Have a look at the refractor side of telescopes £1500 is cheap. Nice little WO FLT 98, not a great deal bigger then yours, is about £1800. Don't ask about the nice 132mm, 152mm they do. Usally the prices are "On Request". :):eek::( Really scary look at Tak scopes.

For Andromeda, figure out where it is (should be) then try a set of binoculars.

Andromeda is big, but is an object that well suits the term "faint fuzzy". It is very faint and very fuzzy. Try looking when the moon is a lot dimmer, ideally 2 weeks time when it is a new moon.

The 20mm eyepiece will probably not show all of it in an eyefull.

Mikea: I had to read the eyepeiece spec twice, then just to be sure I divided 31.5 by 25.4 on the calculator to make sure.:):D

Why since 1" = 25.4mm I have no idea. The EP's had to be over 1" and well under 2":icon_scratch: But the idea of the 0.925 eyepieces did cross my mind also.

Mikea: I had to read the eyepeiece spec twice, then just to be sure I divided 31.5 by 25.4 on the calculator to make sure.:):D

Why since 1" = 25.4mm I have no idea. The EP's had to be over 1" and well under 2":icon_scratch: But the idea of the 0.925 eyepieces did cross my mind also.

I didn't read the words, just looked at the picture :). Oh well, just off to the newsagents to get this week's Beano...:(

Archived