Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter, 11 Oct

brianb

I'm working my way through a set of movies made on the 11th: here are a couple of animations made from the "scraps":

Red & green images - the blue image run failed due to the planet drifting off the chip:

Jupiter-101011-2210-RG-X15-ani.gif

2010 Oct 11, 2210 UT. CM1 011 deg, CM2 193 deg. Dia 49.0", alt 31 deg.

Infra red - with 5.5 minutes rotation:

Jupiter-101011-2215-2220-IX15-ani.gif

2010 Oct 11, 2215 & 2220 UT. CM1 020 & 023. CM2 201 & 204. Dia 49.0", alt 31 deg.

Transparency good, seeing moderate with some boiling. Temp 7C, wind SE force 2-3.

All images made with Celestron CPC 1100, 1.5x Barlow, Astronomik type 2c colour seperation & Planet Pro 742 filters, Imaging Source DMK21 camera.

Yeah, good stuuf again Brian.

Am I right in assuming that as long as the whole disc stays on the sensor, any other shifting about is catered for in the Avi stacking.

Also, how much time is critical, in respect of Jupiters rotational speed.

Ron.

Am I right in assuming that as long as the whole disc stays on the sensor, any other shifting about is catered for in the Avi stacking.

Yes. Very rapid "jumps" or getting very close to the edge might throw the registration off though.

how much time is critical, in respect of Jupiters rotational speed.

At the level of resolution I am getting, about 4 minutes between the first frame of the first movie and the last fram of the last movie. I shoot 1 min 10 sec movies in the order green, red, blue as the red is usually sharpest & using that for luminance (RRGB) gives me the best results. Alignment between the colours is done on detail close to the disk centre, this means the limbs will be slightly out of registration but they're darkened anyway & tend to have subdued detail because of the thick atmosphere of the target.

Changing between the colour seperation filters is very fast (electric filter wheel) & the filter set is parfocal so I don't have to refocus. Quick tweak on the gain (having sorted out what settings are right for each filter first) & away I go ...

Added: Two sets of RGB imaging runs completed.

Jupiter-101011-2210-X15-composite.jpg

Jupiter-101011-2229-X15-composite.jpg

Thank you for the explanations, and images.

Lots to take in, and getting good results is dependent on a lot more than acquiring the subject and keeping it reasonably steady on the chip. I will need lots of practice I'm afraid :D. I had run at the planet the other night, with my 150mm f8 Achro Frac. and DMK21, Via a x2.5 Imagemate. f20. It was quick trial, as the sky was less than promising, and ended early, but I managed to keep it on the screen for a few minutes.

I will try the Meade SCT next time.

Thanks again.

Ron.

some great detail in these Brian

shame u missed Oval BA Jnr, but u seem to have picked up redspot in North (LLRS or Jnr2 i'm calling it)

and more interesting is bright spot above GRS (basically touching GRS)

is definetely more noticeable, as others have said this week

regards James

Archived