Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Opinions on 2nd hand scope please

It probably depends on how much more it goes for, as you can get an equivalent Skywatcher scope for £199 new - Reflectors - Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P SynScan AZ GOTO

For a reflector you really want as much light gathering power (aperture) as your budget allows. The one on ebay has an aperture of 4.5 inches which is at the lower end so although it is computerised and will find objects for you (when it's properly aligned) you will be limited in what you will be able to see. Planets and brighter deep sky objects will be ok but unless you have really dark skies a lot of the objects in the scopes database will not be visible.

I'd be more inclined to say leave this one and go for one without a computerised (GoTo) mount, that way your money is going on the optics rather than the GoTo mount. Here's a few examples - Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130P Dobsonians - Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian

It looks like the ebay scope will go for at least £130 including postage and as you can see from the links, for the same money or a bit more you can get a new scope that has more light gathering power. :D

It probably depends on how much more it goes for, as you can get an equivalent Skywatcher scope for £199 new - Reflectors - Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P SynScan AZ GOTO

For a reflector you really want as much light gathering power (aperture) as your budget allows. The one on ebay has an aperture of 4.5 inches which is at the lower end so although it is computerised and will find objects for you (when it's properly aligned) you will be limited in what you will be able to see. Planets and brighter deep sky objects will be ok but unless you have really dark skies a lot of the objects in the scopes database will not be visible.

I'd be more inclined to say leave this one and go for one without a computerised (GoTo) mount, that way your money is going on the optics rather than the GoTo mount. Here's a few examples - Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130P Dobsonians - Skywatcher Heritage 130p Flextube Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian

It looks like the ebay scope will go for at least £130 including postage and as you can see from the links, for the same money or a bit more you can get a new scope that has more light gathering power. :D

Like the look of the 130P, however I would like a motorized base even if isn't a goto one. I just remember looking through a workmates scope at Saturn and the movement was a pain.

So I had a wee look about and found this......

Sky-Watcher Explorer-130P (f/650) 5.1 inch Telescope with SupaTrak AUTO Motorised Mount (127) - Warehouse Express

Any good?

One more thing, what do you think of the EP kit that is suggested in the site........

Eyepiece Sets - Revelation Photo-Visual Eyepiece kit

Is it good value or am I better buying individual units as I require them?

Thanks again chaps:icon_salut:

I can certainly vouch for the eye piece set. I bought it alongside an explorer 130/900 and found the eyepieces that came with the scope compared to the ones in that set just arent in the same league, that 32mm is amazing, pretty much the only EP I use.

I'll also vouch for that kit. It's not expensive and having a real range of ep's has taught me that more powerful is not always best! I suspect had I not got that kit and being inexperienced I'd have bought higher power eyepieces than I can comfortably use.

Archived