NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stellarium problem

I am having a problem with my mouse cursor freezing while using Stellarium.

Before I opened the plugins screen while attempting to set up scope guidance It was working normally.

The only way I could get out was to switch off my PC.

Any suggestions anyone?

Sorry for bumping your thread OP but I have a problem with stellarium too and I don't want to start another similar thread!

My problem is it wont start up, when I click the icon stellarium loads up but the screen is blank and wont do anything it just asks to close the program.

Its windows vista I have, I tried reinstalling it and also tried going to properties on it then connectivity and clicked the admin part and still to no avail.

Anyone have a problem like mine?

cheers

Plug - I'll bet you did an update or a fresh install recently. To solve the problem when it happened to me I just deleted the stellarium config file before installing or updating and everything was back to normal. Even if you delete the product it still keeps the config file for some zany reason - you'll find it in the main Stellarium folder :D

Hello again. I seem to be doing something wrong here. Im doing this on my brothers laptop. It will not run at all. Heres what I did:

1)Downloaded stellarium

2)installed product but did not run it.

3)Deleted the config file.

4)Then started it in admin.

Problem still exists, I tried to open the file that was downloaded to delete that config file before I installed it. But I can't it just goes directly to the installation process.

Anymore things I can try?

Thanks agin mate!

Delete the config file before you run the update - it needs to be there but you are deleting the new one. It's the old one that needs to go before installing the new one - reverse steps 2 and 3 - or delete it before you download for a belt and braces approach :D

I tried to do it the way you said, like reverse step 2 and 3 but I could not open up the downloaded folder. Any time I went to open it up so I could delete at the config file it would go directly to the install process. Thats why I had to install it and then open it up and delete the config file. Is there a way to open up the downloaded folder without having to install it first?

cheers.

I am having a problem with my mouse cursor freezing while using Stellarium.

Before I opened the plugins screen while attempting to set up scope guidance It was working normally.

The only way I could get out was to switch off my PC.

Any suggestions anyone?

Can anyone help the OP??!! :D

Ummm.... do you know how to move around folders and manipulate files plug? If you click a folder it won't run anything - it'll just show what files are there. So you go into the Stellarium folder (and maybe sub folders) untill you see the config file - don't "left click" - "right click" it instead and chose delete.

Phattanglo - it may help to open Stellarium in a window rather than full screen. In any event (window or screen) - if it freezes - you should be able to press "ctl-alt-del" and chose "task manager" to regain control. You can then either "end task" or "switch to" and investigate.

Ummm.... do you know how to move around folders and manipulate files plug? If you click a folder it won't run anything - it'll just show what files are there. So you go into the Stellarium folder (and maybe sub folders) untill you see the config file - don't "left click" - "right click" it instead and chose delete.

You must be getting really pee'd off now, eh no Brantuk I don't know how to manipulate files:D When I download it it goes to the downloads folder, I have no way of opening it to delete that file, all it wants to do there is install. Basically the only way I can delete that config file is if I install Stellarium first, which is wrong I want to delete the config file THEN install it. Now how can I get into the Stellarium folder without having to install it? I tried right clicking> open bla bla bla. It still wants to install it:rolleyes: I leave up to you Brantuk you seem to be the Stellarium king around here, thanks again.

PS sorry OP:D

Ok - now I understand what you're doing - you're totally in the wrong place. You need to go to the installed folder of Stellarium. The one that was created when you first put it on your machine. You should find it in the "Program Files" folder in Windows - it will be called "Stellarium". It is a folder and will have sub folders within it too.

Somewhere in there will be the ".conf" file. I'll get you the precise pathname when I get home tonight - but you might find it before that. If you do - delete the config file.

Then go back to your downloads folder and click the installer - this will restore a new default config file, all the software, and the default settings.

Hope that helps you :D

Ok here's the folder you need to go to:

C:\Program Files\Stellarium\data and the file is called "default_config" - get rid of that and then do a completely fresh install - it should put things to rights. I'll watch for your next post - or pm me if you want a walk through :D

I just tried to download and run a copy of the latest version 0.10.5 and it gave me a corrution message. It may be that downloading the previous version will work. The one I have on my home pc is 10.4 (or 10.3) - try one of those - but you'll still need to delete the current config file before you download it.

Otherwise it should be very straightforward. (What version of windows are you using btw?) :D

Ok - now I understand what you're doing - you're totally in the wrong place. You need to go to the installed folder of Stellarium. The one that was created when you first put it on your machine. You should find it in the "Program Files" folder in Windows - it will be called "Stellarium". It is a folder and will have sub folders within it too.

Somewhere in there will be the ".conf" file. I'll get you the precise pathname when I get home tonight - but you might find it before that. If you do - delete the config file.

Then go back to your downloads folder and click the installer - this will restore a new default config file, all the software, and the default settings.

Hope that helps you :)

Cheers for than Brantuk. I installed the version 10 -2 and it worked fine. Next time I get a go at my brothers laptop I will try to install 10 -5. Thanks again!

Archived