Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Typical

7pm, set up scope, making sure Its nice and level. Take out eyepieces so that there cooled down. 8.30pm, have a look outside, yep nice and clear, if a little windy. Coat on, hat on, cup of tea in hand and power up scope.

Fantstic view of Jupiter. Drop in a 10mm for a closer look.....brilliant. Right lets try and find M31, hold up whats that sneeking on the horizon.........OH NO CLOUD and if by magic within 5 mins everything covered over. Weve had clear blue skys all day, so why change now!

Ive had my scope 6 weeks and have only managed a handful of viewings. Is it always like this?

7pm, set up scope, making sure Its nice and level. Take out eyepieces so that there cooled down. 8.30pm, have a look outside, yep nice and clear, if a little windy. Coat on, hat on, cup of tea in hand and power up scope.

Fantstic view of Jupiter. Drop in a 10mm for a closer look.....brilliant. Right lets try and find M31, hold up whats that sneeking on the horizon.........OH NO CLOUD and if by magic within 5 mins everything covered over. Weve had clear blue skys all day, so why change now!

Ive had my scope 6 weeks and have only managed a handful of viewings. Is it always like this?

I'm afraid it is. You're better then me actually.

The only time I managed to go out in the last month was very similar. It was a perfectly clear night with very steady seeing and a lite breeze (just right to prevent dew). Had about 30min on Jupiter, managed to see the GRS and Europa's occultation and as I was going to start on my DSO plan for the night, the clouds rolled in.

It's even worse for me because I work nights and always seem to get the clear nights when I'm at work.

This year I have set up only 4 times and 3 of those the cloud rolled in just as it was getting dark. I have some new gear I have been trying to use all year.

Very frustrating.

I was really lucky when I got mine. Within the first month I must have had about 10 good enough nights, with the odd really good one. But as it stands ATM, I've not had the scope out for over two weeks. It's looking good for Fri/Sat so fingers crossed :(

Archived