Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First M31 Solo

Suffolkgazer

Hi all.

Was Hoping for a few more to report on I.E M34 poss a few double clusters. But a high thin cloud bank just rolled over :(.

After having M31 pointed out to me through OASI's high powered Binos I thought I would try and get my own through my 20x80s.

Will admit that I was looking in the wrong area :( for the first 10 mins, I went and got a reclining chair(better viewing position) and a quick stellarium check and went back out.

Not as bright as the Binos at OASI but there she was in all her glory :(. Went and got the better half and tried to point it out to her but the size of the binos coupled with the cloud she called it after 4 mins.

Just waiting for this cloud to pass and hopefuly can add M34 and get a a look at Orion again :p. Just makes the urge for a telescope even worse:icon_eek:.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well done! 20x80 binos should be great for M31. I always aim at M31 whenever I am out with my 15x70s (that and M42). The only reason to turn a bigger scope on them is that its companions M32 and M110 are easier to spot in e.g. my C8 at 50x magnification. your 20x80 should be able to get them if you are in a dark enough spot (got them with my 15x70 once, though they look almost stellar). That would get you 3 Messier objects for the price of one.

Archived