NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SPC880 Webcam and IR/UV Filter. Which one?

SniffTheGlove

I have brought the SPC880 Webcam and nosepiece from Morgans but need a IR/UV filter to go with it.

Could I have some recommendations on which one is best or valve for money.

The Morgan Revelation IR Blocking Filter 1.25 inch at £12.50 https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=6348&CategoryID=556&SubCategoryID=

The scopesnskies ScopeTeknix 1.25" Infrared & UV blocking filter for £19.99

ScopeTeknix ScopeTeknix 1.25" Infrared & UV blocking filter

Or the scopesnskies AC582 1.25" Infrared & UV block filter for £22.99

Astro Engineering AC582 1.25" Infrared & UV block filter for web-cam and CCD imaging

Thanks

I've just ordered the ac582.

No real reason except it was one of the cheapest I could find that I could order online that said it was both ir and uv. Some of the cheaper ones (only by a few £) seemed to be ir blocking only, though I'm not sure if that's just what the description said.

I took the risk and oredered the revelation one knowing that it might turn out to be IR-cut only. It arrived in a box with a leaflet that confirms it blocks UV as well. I've yet to try it out, and I've got no other IR/UV cut filter against which to compare it, but I'm pleased anyway.

I've got one of these cameras coming. Does the filter make a noticeable difference? If so, with what?

These cameras have an IR filter on the lens. But the lens needs to be removed when you use the camera on a telescope. So IR light would get to the sensor.

The problem is that IR light has a lower wavelength than visible light and is therefore refracted/reflected at a slightly different angle. This means that the focal plane is at a different distance compared to visible light. You will get focusing problems without an IR filter.

This is the simplified explanation. Of course the different components of visible light are also being refracted at slightly different angles. Imagine a prism that splits white light into its colours. Blue light is bent more than red light, for example. IR is beyond red and therefore it is being refracted even less causing the focal plane to move further out.

I hope that makes sense. ;-)

teh_orph,

All I have read so far is the having an IR filter reduces/removes a blue'ish haze when you are imaging Jupiter.

I have no idea about a UV filter, so if anyone can help explain would be great.

As Ludd has brought the cheap Morgan one and it's paperwork describes it does block UV I have gone and ordered 2, along with another SPC880 and Nosepiece so I now have a spare set. It will be cheaper in the long run.

I guess Morgan may be reading these posts/forum as yesterday afternoon when I first posted the Morgan product title and description just said IR Blocking (See URL in first post) but now a few hours later it states IR/UV Blocking

Ah cheers for the info guys. I'd heard about stars being fat and bloated, and now this makes sense. So far I've been imaging Jupiter without an IR/UV filter - perhaps this is why it's always a bit blurrier than I would have expected?

I to have brought the SPC880 Webcam and nosepiece from Morgans,no filter as yet though.Just brought it because it seemed cheap!

Never done any imaging,apart from star trails,so ive no idea what to do when i get the scope up and running,(Skymax Pro180).Have downloaded Registax,and understand that i have to remove the lens from the webcam.Apart from that im clueless:icon_confused:.

Regards,

Sooty.

As Ludd has brought the cheap Morgan one and it's paperwork describes it does block UV I have gone and ordered 2, along with another SPC880 and Nosepiece so I now have a spare set. It will be cheaper in the long run.

The parcel arrived today (again very quick delivery, I can not fault them) with a SPC880, 1 Nosepiece and 2 Revelation filters.

Now I have 2 complete setups that I can keep sealed from dust with out swapping the parts around and opening the ccd to dust etc.

From the leaflet the Revelation Filter is a BC019 IR and UV Blocking Filter. It is threaded both ends.

I must say that when the filter is on the nosepiece and that is screwed into the SPC880(900)NC body and the long mounting arm is removed it all looks quite professional.

Archived