Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Convert a Mak 127 to goto?

I've had my Mak 127 for 5-6 weeks and got the Super track auto version instead of the goto, so that I had to learn my way around the night sky. So far so good, but I feel that sometimes, especially with the lower mag objects, I need help before I reach the point of kicking the scope round the garden when I cant find what I'm after.

Is it possible to connect the scope to a laptop and use that to guide it?

Thank you.

You may find this topic answers your question;

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/114752-skywatcher-supatrak-mount-control-stellarium.html

For what it's worth... I did the exact opposite with my 127 and went from GOTO to Supatrak, just found a GOTO directory containing thousands of objects that the scope is incapable of resolving fairly pointless. Just something to bear in mind, as it's possible you may find GOTO just as frustrating?

Cheers' Kev.

For what it's worth... I did the exact opposite with my 127 and went from GOTO to Supatrak,

I pretty much did the same thing but not quite. I have the 127 Mak on GoTo but after the first few times using the GoTo I don't bother with it now I just use the directional arrows to control it to where I want it to go.

I've had my Mak 127 for 5-6 weeks and got the Super track auto version instead of the goto, so that I had to learn my way around the night sky. So far so good, but I feel that sometimes, especially with the lower mag objects, I need help before I reach the point of kicking the scope round the garden when I cant find what I'm after.

Is it possible to connect the scope to a laptop and use that to guide it?

Thank you.

Buy a GOTO handset and simply plug it into the mount (where the SupaTrak handset would go) and Bobs your uncle - you have a GOTO setup. I did it with my 130P SupaTrak and it works fine. Also, ask 'bigal1' he did it with his MAK 127 SupaTrak, and I'm planning to do it with my new MAK 127.

Look for the GOTO handset second hand though. They're expensive new. I got mine from a fellow gazer off here for £55. It was practically new too :o

Just looking through the comments on this thread, it looks like a couple of guys have stopped using the GOTO and just want to track...

Therefore, maybe iamzoso60 could sort out some kind of swap (his tracker handset and some cash in exchange for someone's GOTO handset)??

Just a thought :o

Clear skies,

Andy...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived