Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can a red dot finder be fitted onto the MAK 127?

Thanks guys!

The SW MAK 127 comes with a 6x30 finderscope and I've heard they're not as good as an RDF. However, I want to find out for myself so instead of selling my RDF (came with my 130P) I'm going to keep it so I can swap and change between the two and see which one suits me best.

Glad to hear it will fit :o

The thing with both of these finders on a SW 127 Mak is that they are a straight through finders. This is not too much of a problem if you are only using it to align your GoTo. However, if you're using it to hunt (star hop) for objects to observe, especially for objects overhead you will probably find that your back and possibly your knees too will object as you have to get in almost impossible positions due to the finders position on the scope.

My view is that these small Maks should be shipped with at least a 6x30 RA finder. I've replaced mine with an RA finder and it's much better.

My view is that these small Maks should be shipped with at least a 6x30 RA finder. I've replaced mine with an RA finder and it's much better.
I agree much with that. With limited field, it's not THAT easy to direct the main scope. The standard "rifle sight" Red Dot Finders BLOCK so much light. A 9x50 RACI (albeit fine) finder is a bit heavy for most mounts associated with this scope. I use a decent (Baader) RDF, but sense a little bit extra light-gathering cannot go amiss under UK skies. A 6x30 RACI finder (although rarer) has a widish field - A bit more intuitive than the straight-through version! :o

Archived