SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Seconds out...Round 22...Review of the Televue 22mm Panoptic and the 20mm Nagler T5

Moonshane

I can't attend PSP this year unfortunately :)

I have found that a OIII filter is just too selective on a small scope like these.

A UHC seems to be a bit more forgiving on the lack of aperture.

Saying that I suspect I will get one eventually but only when I have a lot more light gathering capacity.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if ever over my way mate, you'd be welcome to try mine in your scope.

Thanks buddy :)

I would be interested in hearing your experiences with the small frac and these filters as well.

I personally use a lumicon UHC which is one of the more selective band passes than a lot of other UHC filters so hence boosts contrast by a fair margin. Not to the same level as an OIII but part way in my opinion.

I think the UHC (cheapo APM-branded one) works wonders in contrast. O-III is better for some specific nebulae, but not others. Horses for courses, really. The leap in contrast with just the UHC meant I could see the Pelican through my 80mm with UHC, but not without. The Veil (Eastern, Broom, Pickering's Wisp and all) was much better with UHC than without in the 80mm. Planetaries are reputed to do well in O-III (although my UHC again helps a lot, both in big scopes and small).

Thanks for the info guys, a nice confirmation that the UHC should be at least partly suitable :)

I will pick up an OIII filter in the near future, although I have left it too late to get one before my next darksky holiday. Too busy chasing my Moonlite focuser I forgot to order the filter...

The UHC will have to make do. :(

I find UHC filters work very well on my small scope on the larger planetary nebula which don't need too much magnification to do them justice. Stuff the size of M57/M27

What UHC's are you using Michael & Mark?

While I can only comment on my experiences with the kit I have I found the SW UHC to be far more aggressive than the Castell OIII filter even in my 8" Newt and hence my advice.

I'm in the market for a new UHC so the talk of one working so well in an 80mm may see me getting more use out of it in my 8".

I have the APM branded UHC filter 2". Worked very well on smaller planetaries in both my C8 and Olly Penrice's 20" Dob, to get rid of moonlight. It may well be marketed under the Skywatcher and other brands (TS, Robtics).

[edit: should we not start up a separated thread on this?]

Archived