Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Final bits required for PC controlled AP setup?

So over the past few weeks i have been putting together the final bits for my AP setup.

I now have a QHY5 and EQMOD installed and operational (dry run only, too many clouds!) with photos taken using my unmodded Canon 5D.

I have the remote timer using the N3 connection and my understanding is that this needs to be modded (astronomiser do it) in order to allow me to connect it to the PC. Once i have done this should i be able to control everthing from the PC and view images from my 5D to adjust focus/capture images etc?

Thanks.

I have a Sony A100, with a cable to connect it to the laptop... My cable only allows me to program the camera to shoot... x amount of exposures, for x amount of time, with x amount of delay.... I cant read the images with this cable, and when i plug the cable in to read the images, It stops all of the other functions on my camera.

Can you not get Live view on the 5D, This is my understanding of how other focus?

With the Canon EOS utility installed on your PC, you can just plug the camera into the PC using the supplied USB cable and control it from the PC without modding it at all. I did this when taking my first pictures of the moon. You see what the camera is seeing on the PC and can then zoom in on a part of image to check focus etc.

Good old Canon.

You should be able to use the USB connection to control the camera using something like APT which might give you mirror lockup control as well. The N3 socket is purely focus and shutter control which can be used to fire the camera either via a remote timer or via a pc using one of the gadets from Astronomiser.

Archived