Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need new Finderscope for 127 MAK

Good news about Stellarium then!

When you get to wanting to hop between stars, just do a check to figure out which way your equipment inverts/flips the image. It can vary. Once you've sorted that out, you should be ready to navigate!

Enjoy!

David

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi brantuk,

I bought it from First Light Optics.They were lovely and did say if it didn't suit me I could send it back and they would swap it. The question is, is it worthwhile going to the trouble of posting it back and paying the extra to have it corrected Left/Right? I did have a chat with the guy at FLO and he said he thought I would be OK with the one I bought, but as I said they are happy to swap it if I decide it's not suitable for me.

Do you think it is definitely worthwhile for me to swap it? It is correct up/dowm just not left/right.

Hi guys,

I sort of put this issue of the Right/Left reversal on hold for a while. I thought I'd try star hopping with it first to see how I got along. But since I've bought the Finderscope, the weather has been completely rubbish and really annoyingly I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'm going to have to make a decision soon about whether to swap it or not.

How much more difficult is it to star hop with Left/Right reversed? Do you think I would just get the hang of it? Do you think I should exchange it for one with the Correct Image? Any advice be greatly appreciated.

FLO are very accommodating and a great supplier - they allways handle customers sympathetically especially new ones.

The finder is really a personal thing - I have two raci's on a newt and an sct and get on fine with both despite the different views in the two scopes.

If you really can't get on with it then by all means ask them to change it - but it's only experience that lets you know - unfortunately the weather isn't giving any of us a lot of that right now. :o

So if you're trying to view an object that is not visible to the naked eye, how much use is a RDF? I have the supatrak version of the scope that came with the optical finder (though the manual thinks I have a RDF and a different mount lol) - and I often have to use the finder to even see the object in the first place.

Yeah the manuals can be confusing - even if you get the right one put in the box lol :o With the RDF's it helps you to point at the area of sky where your object is located using both eye's at the same time and maybe a star map.

So long as the finder and main tube are aligned you should be very near the object with only a little skim around needed to get on it - use a low power ep with wide fov :)

Archived