NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Re-housing an Orion Optics mirror set

John

Is there any reason why an Orion Optics 10" F/4.8 mirror set could not be re-housed in a Skywatcher 10" tube, using the Skywatcher primary mirror cell and, probably, the Skywatcher secondary support as well ?.

The Skywatcher primaries are F/4.7 and 253mm in diameter wheras the OO one is F/4.8 and 247mm respectively so the Skywatcher mirror cell would need to be packed out slightly and the focal point might vary by a few mm but it seems like it might be feasible ?.

I've been thinking about upgrading my OO mirror cell and tube rings but the OO prices and potential wait times are making me mull over other possibilities.

I cannot see why this could not be overcome either. interesting thread John as I was considering a 9 point replacement for my 12". is there a mega wait as I'd assumed this would be an off the shelf item?

it the skywatcher a better cell?

I don't know the details at the moment Shane but, TBH, I did not find the customer service from OO very inviting when I phoned a few weeks ago - I don't like spending my money with firms who don't seem to have much respect for their customers so I'm prepared to investigate alternatives.

While the optics of my 10" are very good the other mechanicals are nothing to write home about - the tube, for example, is wafer thin and flexes and bulges with the least provacation. The crayford is servicable but the standard Skywatcher ones I've tried are better and the tube rings / dovetail arrangement is rather crude - the rings fastening with basic alloy window security bolts - I've had 2 bust already - thankfully not while the scope was being supported by them !.

I know that the OTA is "only" the £659 (when new) Europa deluxe model but I do think they could do better in a number of areas ;)

I really want to like this scope and the optics (which are SO important I grant you) are something to be proud of but £2.50 window bolts holding the OTA on the mount ........ I ask you :)

I know what you mean about the bolts but I suspect they get a lot less stress on the dob so mine have been fine. I am duly warned though!

maybe their general approach is that of dobs rather than EQ mounted scopes?? the tube walls are indeed quite thin but this makes them light so there's pluses and minuses I s'pose.

I have actually emailed OO about the 6" f11 to praise the scope but also to point out some of the ways they could simply improve it such as adding the friction brake as standard and adding a little more weight at the bottom end with some sort of metal ring to aid balancing but not had a reply. I thought they might appreciate the constructive feedback of someone using their scopes. The 6" is literally impossible to balance with a 6x30 finder, a dual speed crayford and anything heavier than an 11mm plossl (and the scope right at the very bottom of the mount). When I say literally impossible to balance, I mean without mods. I also suggested using the 8" dob mount and flaring the top of the mount in to meet the 6" rings. This would add a serious amount of stability to the base which being so tall and thin is OK but could be better.

good luck with the investigations and I hope you get sorted mate.

Thanks for the replies folks

I may give OO another ring and talk things through with them again - perhaps I caught them at a "bad time" before :)

But it sounds as if the Skywatcher / OO hybrid is a possibility as well ;)

Archived