Good Non-Dobsonian Telescope? (Begginer)

I've been told so many times that a beginner should always go with a Dobsonian as bigger is better. I was at first until i discovered how big they are, so i decided against that. So what would be a good telescope in a £600 price range, taking in mind i am a beginner, But i have been looking at one for a year now and I'm finally deciding on getting one.

Also Hello, since this is my first time on the forum, im hoping to get my Telescope in the next few month in the run up to Christmas, maybe even on Christmas, but I've had so many clear nights lately that its making me wanna buy one sooner.

Hi,

I am also a complete beginner and I was also thinking about getting a dob, but in the end I was worried about the size and also portability if I want to take it on holiday.

I've gone for a Skywatcher Skymax 127 MAX with Supatrak which is a nice, small telescope but at £279 is quite a bit cheaper than your budget (though of course I've also bought eyepieces, filters, dew guards and other bits and bobs so the price overall is quite a bit more than the £279). But I am sure there are other options for your budget.

I've been told the 127 MAK is comparable to the dob for planetary viewing (which is what I am mainly interested in) but the dob is much better for Deep Space Objects. I also like the MAK because it has automatic tracking which will make it easier fo my kids to view Jupiter as they won't have to nudge the scope to keep Jupiter in sight.

I guess it depends on what you are mainly interested in seeing and how you plan to use it (portability, storage etc).

I am sure someone more knowledgable will be along soon to give some better advice than mine!

Archived