Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2" DSLR Nose wobble cure?

Trull

I use a 2" nose (Astro Engineering Max DSLR 2 inch camera adaptor (for Canon, Nikon & Pentax)) from EOS350D to my ED103's focus tube, but it can easily wobble as the screws tend to force the adaptor out a little which means the chip is not parallel to the focal plane.

Does anyone have a similar problem?

Is there a better way to secure this to the scope?

At the root of this the tip of the nose is fractionally wider for about 4mm then it necks in over the next 15mm before shouldering out again for the last 3mm. The last 3mm fits against the internal radius of the focus tube and when you tighten the two screws they push the nose out setting the whole thing at an angle.

Hi Trull,

Does the Vixen focuser tube end in a 60mm screw ? If so I suggest maybe a 60mm to T thread and then a normal T ring for the Canon. You may need a t extension.

Or the Hotech adaptor.

Yes, I know you've already spent all that money :)

Dave.

I've tried that route as well, problem is that an APS-C chip gets serious vignetting through a T-Thread adaptor at f/7.95 . Your suggestion Dave, is right enough though, I need to change out the 60mm tube (or whatever it is) to a better method of holding the camera.

I'll investigate ...

CS&DS

Trull

This is going to sound horrible!!!!!

BUT if you gently "squash" the tube then it should be easier to get it to "stay straight" when inserted into the focus tube.

How to do it - Don't use a vice!! Just your hands. Interlock your fingers and use your palms to apply gentle pressure to the adaptor. You should NOT notice any movement of the tube!! Try for fit and repeat until done. You are only moving things a few "thousandths" of an inch.

Archived