NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another in the long line of 1st Jupiters

the_laughing_crow

Well here is my first results from imaging..... Id like to say my first attempt but it took me .... ohhh.... about 2 weeks to bring together:

Working out how to get everything to run under linux

Realising I needed to shorten my flextube by about 1cm to attain focus

Figuring out how to get anything more than a blank grey disk

Actually having a clear sky.

:)

I still have very very little idea of what the hell Im doing in registax and when I try to centre the image in GIMP I loose image quality.... whats that about? Can you centre the object using registax?

Anyway here is the result:

post-20482-133877483359_thumb.jpg

You could crop the image and leave it at that (the background is just black after all). But if you really wanted Jupiter centred in an image the same size of the original, you could then create a new image of whatever size you wanted, fill the background with black and then paste in the cropped image as a new layer and position it as you wanted. Flatten and save and you've got yourself a centred image.

Both look great esp the film Noir ;) all four in there as well :)

Just goes to show the optics in that Dob are good. You up size these ones or used a Barlow???????. Seen it up for sale new with a Barlow and 2 eps, which is a cracking deal on a starter scope tbh.

Interesting to see how Saturn comes out.

Jason

The images were taken with an x2 barlow AND increased in size. The barlow that came with the scope was duff (plastic affair which couldn't focus) so I sent it back and they gave me a semi decent one at no charge.

I didnt take a note of the camera settings whilst taking the capture.... but very roughly they were something like:

Brightness: 15ish

Gamma: 0

Gain: 50ish

FPS: 10

Shutter speed: 1/250... i think

Archived