How to transport your scope in the car

This may have been done before or seem easy to most, but i will being doing 90% of my gazing a mile or so from home where its darker, at the moment i put tripod and mount in the boot and the scope on the back seat (with seat belt around it to keep it on the seat) what i want to know is whats the best way to do this? make a box to keep it still, get a bag/case, a padded bag is what i'm looking for that way it can stay in it at home, but cant find one any where!, what else could i use?

length of scope 850mm, dia 280 (with finder on), seen some hard cases on the web but they seem to start at £80!! would prefer some better EP at that price

I wrap mine in a beach towel and put in back seat and attach seat belts. The other day, about 1 mile from my house, one cat chases another into the path of my car, had to hit the anchors, and scope still slid forwards at one side, but thankfully did not fall off the seat. If you have an older car, the middle seatbelt can be a pretty safe bet. I personally wouldn't get a box, too much hassle etc.

You might be able to get a kit bag or large sports bag to fit it in. try an army and navy surplus store or similar? put some camping mat in sections held in by velcro strips (or even padded envelopes from amazon or what have you and you have a cheap padded bag!

Archived