Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Steel pier

I am considering mounting my heq5 on a pier inside a roll on/off roof obsevatory, I would prefer a comercially available model but am unsure of what may be the best one to buy. I have trawled the internet but I think that I would prefer to make a judgement based on the input of fellow astronomers, so can anyone point me in the right direction. Thank you.

I have the Altair Astro 8" diameter pier and it is as steady as a rock - it is bolted to a ton od concrete (2' x 2' x 3'). Altair Skyshed Observatory Pier 8" OD*::*Telescope Mount Accessories*::*Mounts & Tripods*::*Altair Astro

I can see no reason for it not being used in any obs.

Dave

Brilliant Dave thanks very much for the info and link.

Roger

I have the same pier and the only problem I foun d with it with an HEQ5 mount is that I cant get my eye right up to the polar scope, the large diameter of the top plate, prevents this...all the pics on the altar site show it with a HEQ6 on top!

But apart from that its a great pillar.

If you can, get your local steel fabricators to weld one up for you. I had mine made up, the only job I did was to shape and drill the top and bottom plates (which I was quite happy to do as I had the appropriate equipment). I gave them a rough dimensioned sketch and "chose" my materials from their "offcuts" (ie scrap bin!!! - all useful short ends !). Total cost was £25 for the metal and a further £25 for the welding. All I had to add was £10 for the paint. Solid as a rock!

(5.5" OD steel tube, 12mm thick base - about 14" square - and two top plates, 8mm braces up the sides of the tube)

post-17157-133877483503_thumb.jpg

If you can, get your local steel fabricators to weld one up for you. I had mine made up, the only job I did was to shape and drill the top and bottom plates (which I was quite happy to do as I had the appropriate equipment). I gave them a rough dimensioned sketch and "chose" my materials from their "offcuts" (ie scrap bin!!! - all useful short ends !). Total cost was £25 for the metal and a further £25 for the welding. All I had to add was £10 for the paint. Solid as a rock!

(5.5" OD steel tube, 12mm thick base - about 14" square - and two top plates, 8mm braces up the sides of the tube)

Nice pier and well within my price range! I think that it should be worthwhile to check a few fabricators out. Thanks for the info.

Regards

Roger

I have the same pier and the only problem I foun d with it with an HEQ5 mount is that I cant get my eye right up to the polar scope, the large diameter of the top plate, prevents this...all the pics on the altar site show it with a HEQ6 on top!

But apart from that its a great pillar.

Thanks for that, I think that I need an unobstructed view of the polar scope as its mainly intended for imaging and I'm getting fed up of lugging out the tripod for the clouds to follow me.

Thanks for that, I think that I need an unobstructed view of the polar scope as its mainly intended for imaging and I'm getting fed up of lugging out the tripod for the clouds to follow me.

Dont get me wrong - you can get to the polar scope - its just tricky, your head has to be at an angle cos your chin hits the platform.

Archived