NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

first night with Hyperion 24mm

Ags

Last night was the first night with my new Hyperion 24mm in my 102mm Mak. I started with the moon and the Hyperion was really impressive with its lack of reflections and its sharpness. I seemed to detect some parts of the moon that were slightly colored - possibly reddish or brownish. I've never seen color on the moon before. Is it possible?

Despite the moon I had a go at some DSOs with a range of EPs. I could just make out M27 in my small telescope, and could see the characteristic bow-tie shape. I also saw M76 for the first time, but that was at the limit of what I could see on a moonlit night.

The real target for the evening was the Double Cluster, as the Hyperion should give me the FOV to appreciate it. Looked at it for ages. The bright star between the two clusters is clearly red. I hope to have another look soon when the low-power view will be less affected by the moon.

Finished the night with Jupiter. I could see no detail last night, just the NEB and the south polar zone. The north polar zone looked distinctly blue. Is that possible? When when will I see the Red Spot?

Just before going to bed, I saw the Pleiades rising above the trees.

Yes - after last night I think I will save up for a 13mm Hyperion to replace my 15mm plossl. The coatings on the Hyperions are excellent. I think 68deg FOV is more than enough. If the Baader Genuine Orthos are the same quality I will get a 7mm one of those too, eventually.

I wish I could find a good online map of the Moon, preferrably with the orientation I see through the EP. I would enjoy the moon much more if I could identify the features.

Yes - after last night I think I will save up for a 13mm Hyperion to replace my 15mm plossl. The coatings on the Hyperions are excellent. I think 68deg FOV is more than enough. If the Baader Genuine Orthos are the same quality I will get a 7mm one of those too, eventually.

I wish I could find a good online map of the Moon, preferrably with the orientation I see through the EP. I would enjoy the moon much more if I could identify the features.

I'm thinking of getting one the hyperions for my 4" refractor, a 24mm actually! You would definitely recommend them then? ;-)

I have a 7mm baader genuine ortho as it happens, but only managed to try it out the other night briefly on Jupiter, I didn't see it's full potential because it was pretty cloudy, but hopefully when we next have a clear night up here I can test it properly. :)

Rick.

Yes Rick, I would recommend the Hyperion. I thought my TS Planetaries were good, but the Hyperion is in another league. It seems to have ZERO internal reflections and the image is extremely sharp and colors come through very well. The only downside is the huge size of the EP - I would feel happier with something a little less imposing. But I have no complaints about its performance.

i have a 21 mm hyperion used in my f10 6" sct and i find these nice to use, look great, lovely feel to them and a good field of view.

when i started this hobby i used to barlow everything up and maximum magnifiction on everything but you really dont see anymore, infact you see less just a bit bigger if that makes any sense because you are narrowing you field of view, i only used my 21mm hyperion when at Kelling the other week when not imaging, used it on the sun, with proper filter of course, and had great views of a sun spot with it.

i believe that these eyepieces are better for greater focal length scopes rather than faster ones.

might treat myself to another one day.

good prices for second hand ones also.

One downside of the Hyperion is the eye relief, which is a bit too long for me. I'm finding it tricky to hold my head in the right position without any help from the eye cup, which is a bit short. The TS Planetaries have shorter eye relief, and twist up eye cups that give good guidance. Also the field is so wide in the Hyperion my eye roves around and loses the beam of light in the process. I'm sure I'll figure it out though.

Maybe I should just keep my glasses on with the Hyperion - not necessarily a good idea as my lenses are 10-15% tinted...

EDIT: I seem to have figured out the eye placement thing now, having much fewer eye placement problems tonight (25/09/2010).

Archived