SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Coloured Filters

I have been scouring around trying to find which filters I may need...

I have just ordered a Baader UV/IR filter to put on my WebCam as when viewing Jupiter the other night it was a very poor quality even after some tweaking.

I live 18 miles from London and the garden facesWest to East and wondered if I also needed a LPR to get rid of some of the background noise. Any help on this and what colour ones would make a good set to have would be welcome.

You could do a lot worse then buy one of these babies. They really do cut out most of the glow from LP and give really good contrast:

Light Pollution Reduction - Skywatcher Light Pollution Filter

As for coloured filters....i find a simple yellow or orange filter works well on planets such as Jupiter and Saturn.

A moon filter i hear also works well with reducing the glare from Jupiter. I've never used mine for that purpose as the SW LPF seems to do the same thing while blocking LP.

Which direction from London are you? I'm Epsom (SW from central London) and about 20 miles out, so know the feeling!

The filter Paul suggests is a good start. I've got the Seben version (Seben = bad reflectors but good filters) and it works a treat!

Orange and yellow are pretty good for Jupiter and Saturn and a moon filter is pretty essential.

There is a thread in the Primers section about using different coloured filters which might help you as well.

I agree with the above comments and they are certainly the accepted general feelings I think, but personally don't like the view through coloured filters as it just looks 'unreal'. LPR filters do work well and are recommended in skies like ours (I live between Manchester and Stockport) although again I don't normally use one.

Even with the moon, I tend not to use a filter, this is even with the 12" dob and a low power eyepiece. No doubt that once you have looked at the moon without a filter, you'll not be seeing anything faint for a while that night, but once I get over the initial shock and your pupil shrinks, I prefer the unfiltered view again. my logic is possibly that when spending £350 plus for an Ethos, I believe the view cannot be enhanced by putting a cheap albeit thin, piece of glass in the way. maybe this is rubbish but on the whole I prefer the unfiltered view.

the exception to this is for some targets which need eg an Oiii filter to even see them - in that case there's really no choice, although these filters are generally not cheap.

I am sure others will disagree with this but it's my view and I'm sticking to it :):D:eek:

Hey, you're entitled to your opinion (and your watery eyes!) :D

Some folk don't like filters and some do. I use them, but not as often as I could (hence I sold my filter wheel!) I'll look at, say, Juipiter for a couple of mins with a filter, but then 20 - 30 mins without.

I agree mate, I have regularly tried to use them (and buy one even now every time I visit Astroboot to make the numbers up to three) but always end up taking them off (maybe I should buy better quality ones!:eek:).

seriously, on the moon, try it. I was a bit surprised but it gets easier as your pupil contracts (and it's great fund when trying to find your way around with one tiny and one massive pupil too) :D

"(and it's great fund when trying to find your way around with one tiny and one massive pupil too)"

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that (I really wish it did).

The pupil of my right eye is welded open (eye internals welded up by a surgeon that was a lousy shot, and shot far too many laster shots into my eye in one session, while the pupil was dilated for the operation), and it took a few years to work out why I was getting arc eye even though I was wearing an eye patch over the right eye.

Turns out both eyes are linked. If one pupil is shutting down, so is the other. If one is wide open, so is the other. :eek:

eta: PS, really glad to hear you are getting on well with your LPF Paul! :D

I agree with the above comments and they are certainly the accepted general feelings I think, but personally don't like the view through coloured filters as it just looks 'unreal'. LPR filters do work well and are recommended in skies like ours (I live between Manchester and Stockport) although again I don't normally use one.

Even with the moon, I tend not to use a filter, this is even with the 12" dob and a low power eyepiece. No doubt that once you have looked at the moon without a filter, you'll not be seeing anything faint for a while that night, but once I get over the initial shock and your pupil shrinks, I prefer the unfiltered view again. my logic is possibly that when spending £350 plus for an Ethos, I believe the view cannot be enhanced by putting a cheap albeit thin, piece of glass in the way. maybe this is rubbish but on the whole I prefer the unfiltered view.

the exception to this is for some targets which need eg an Oiii filter to even see them - in that case there's really no choice, although these filters are generally not cheap.

I am sure others will disagree with this but it's my view and I'm sticking to it :):D:eek:

In a way agree with this but in another way, i start to question your sanity.

If you observe a planet with a coloured filter that is close to the accepted "natural" colour of that planet then the view is real. The filter just boosts the contrast between details. Hence a yellow or orange filter on both Jupiter and Saturn is FINE.

Regarding observing through a 12" Dob..........(i can only dream). The "largest" scope i have observed with is my 5.1" Heritage. The full moon even through this apeture damn near burns a hole through the back of my head. My eyesight is shot to hell for a good hour or so................so faint fuzzies have to wait til my eye is good again. With my Moon filter on the Heritage i can happily observe the full Moon and then remove it and try my best to observe faint fuzzies (not a good idea under a full Moon).

Thats all the bit i disagree with..............now for what i agree with:

I can understand the thoughts of anyone with a 12" Dob who has paid blumming good money wanting the best view possible (under weather conditions).

The last thing you guys want is to introduce inferior quality optics into the equation. Why have 12" apeture and top of the range EP's and screw it up at the last hurdle with a "cheap" filters.

Getting back to the Moon.................SURE it is BRIGHT when full and is a bit "uncomfortable" to observe unfiltered but it isnt going to blind you. That is not medically,scientifically,physically possible.

So maybe just skip buying a Moon filter and get used to the view in the comfort that you will get used to it and it is not going to blind you.

Think i covered everything.

P.S.~~~I have observed the Moon at all phases with both my Moon filter and then with my SW LPF and both filters offer me a totally different view. I actually thing my LPF offers up the best views. Its a bit more "contrasty". I have mentioned this a few times and people have said they will try. They never reported back on it which was a bit of a bummer. But i stand by my findings.

Honestly.............give it a go.

Great Comments and a lot to think about.

I am SE of London with Great views of Canary Wharf (Lucky me) and seem to always view the skies when a plane is starting its decent into London City Airport.

I had laser eye surgery a few weeks ago and the sight is better than i could have wanted and don't fancy burning the retinas out yet, but don't want to mask any natural views with cheap filters.

I must admit the first thing I thought of was getting something to reduce the London glare so probably will invest in a LPR and the UV/IR is to calm down the Webcam I have attached as Jupiter was good but picture I felt could do with something to enhance it.

Appreciate the help........and will try the UV and LPR ones first to get a feel......I did get a nice barlow (Ultima) whichwhen the skies are better I can't wait to use

"(and it's great fund when trying to find your way around with one tiny and one massive pupil too)"

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that (I really wish it did).

Turns out both eyes are linked. If one pupil is shutting down, so is the other. If one is wide open, so is the other. :icon_eek:

Cheers Ogri - didn't realise that they were linked although I have confirmed it in the mirror (with resulting strange looks from my family) :). I always wondered how people measured their own exit pupil with both eyes shut or total darkness. :)

BUT when I have been observing the moon, there's a difference somewhere in my eyes as the sky is black in one eye and grey in the other - probably cones shut down in one and not the other I s'pose?

In a way agree with this but in another way, i start to question your sanity.

If you observe a planet with a coloured filter that is close to the accepted "natural" colour of that planet then the view is real. The filter just boosts the contrast between details. Hence a yellow or orange filter on both Jupiter and Saturn is FINE.

Regarding observing through a 12" Dob..........(i can only dream). The "largest" scope i have observed with is my 5.1" Heritage. The full moon even through this apeture damn near burns a hole through the back of my head. My eyesight is shot to hell for a good hour or so................so faint fuzzies have to wait til my eye is good again. With my Moon filter on the Heritage i can happily observe the full Moon and then remove it and try my best to observe faint fuzzies (not a good idea under a full Moon).

Thats all the bit i disagree with..............now for what i agree with:

I can understand the thoughts of anyone with a 12" Dob who has paid blumming good money wanting the best view possible (under weather conditions).

The last thing you guys want is to introduce inferior quality optics into the equation. Why have 12" apeture and top of the range EP's and screw it up at the last hurdle with a "cheap" filters.

Getting back to the Moon.................SURE it is BRIGHT when full and is a bit "uncomfortable" to observe unfiltered but it isnt going to blind you. That is not medically,scientifically,physically possible.

So maybe just skip buying a Moon filter and get used to the view in the comfort that you will get used to it and it is not going to blind you.

Think i covered everything.

P.S.~~~I have observed the Moon at all phases with both my Moon filter and then with my SW LPF and both filters offer me a totally different view. I actually thing my LPF offers up the best views. Its a bit more "contrasty". I have mentioned this a few times and people have said they will try. They never reported back on it which was a bit of a bummer. But i stand by my findings.

Honestly.............give it a go.

cheers Paul

re the coloured filters I can see what you mean but it (to my eyes anyway) colour the background and make the planet disc look more eg yellow than normal but it's horses for courses like all things.

I must confess that when I'm observing the moon, I pretty much right everything else off as I like to try and find more of Lunar 100 and also just cruise around for a bit.

Your comment on the LP filter reminds me that I did actually try mine on the moon and agree that the colour and contrast is indeed more like you would see in eg a photo and it's a good option.

cheers

Shane

cheers Paul

re the coloured filters I can see what you mean but it (to my eyes anyway) colour the background and make the planet disc look more eg yellow than normal but it's horses for courses like all things.

I must confess that when I'm observing the moon, I pretty much right everything else off as I like to try and find more of Lunar 100 and also just cruise around for a bit.

Your comment on the LP filter reminds me that I did actually try mine on the moon and agree that the colour and contrast is indeed more like you would see in eg a photo and it's a good option.

cheers

Shane

As you say..............."Horses for courses" with regards to coloured filters. Like everthing in astronomy. No two people see the same thing.

I'm glad SOMEONE took note when i said that a LPF acts very well as a Moon filter. To MY eyes...............both filters offer up a completely different view and i have to admit to preferring the view of the Moon i get with just my SW LPF.

Speaking of different eyes being able to see differently, I'm the first to admit that mine are downright weird, to the extent I used to be lethal on lamping foxes with a red light. I could see things in red light that my friends couldn't see, and they were definitely there - they were foxes in that particular case.

So to the pertinent bit . . . . .

Anybody else seen all those huge numbers of mirror like spheres on and around the Sun? Best described as being like the bubbles from those childrens soap bubble blowers. I'll try and find a good photo or movie to link that has some that may be a bit easier to see (these things are BIG!). Funny to think the Sun may be blowing bubbles. :)

eta: hmm the videos I saw them in seem to be 'out of focus' now and hard to see them any more. The end of this one still has some you can see when it gets to the end http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/04/21/solar.observatory.images/

PS and to me contrast is everything, and filters are a massive help.

Archived