Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ5 polar alignment question

Hi. I recently bought an EQ5 as a better mount for photography. It has an inegral polar scope, but with no instructions! Within the scope are images of Ursa Major and Casseopia, together with a cross and a small circle where I assume Polaris is placed. However, how is one meant to set this up in the dark? The reticule is not illuminated to see the cross hairs etc in the scope to carry out the alignment as i assume it must be done. I am assuming you have to shine a light along the scope at the same time, which seems odd!

Any views/thoughts much appreciated!

Have you tried looking through it at night. I am sure an illuminated finder helps, but I have never felt the need to illuminate mine. I can see the cross hair perfectly well. Perhaps because my sky isn't completely black, especially as I polar align when Polaris is just about naked eye and the sky is still a shade of blue. Perhaps save your pennies until you are sure you cannot do without illumination.

Archived