NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stargazing in the North West UK

Hi

I'm currently in the process of buying a telescope for me and my son, it was supposed to be a Christmas present, but I'm not sure we can both wait until then, we'll see.

Anyway, apart from viewing the sky from my back garden, is there anywhere decent in the North West? I live in Wigan, and although viewing from my garden will probably still be good, due to light pollution I'm wanting to make trips with my son somewhere with a little less suburban light. On weekends we would probably head somewhere up to a 30 mile radius of Hindley where it isn't as bright.

I was currently thinking about heading up to Winter Hill, as it's not too far from where I live, I will check it out, but does anyone else know of anywhere in the area best to view the night sky?

Also, I'm wanting to to take him on a few trips a year across the UK to some of the better spots for viewing, possibly Wales or Scotland areas, maybe even The Lakes? Anyone have any excellent recommendations?

If you're off to the Lake District, some of the best conditions I've ever seen were there last year (near Cockermouth) - we were there a week before the floods. I only took the camera and camera tripod and was furious I hadn't taken the scope as conditions were perfect - managed some imaging of one minute subs widefield with no light pollution filter at all and not a hint of LP in the subs.

You'll be surprised how much you'll see through a scope even through the light pollution. I'm in Chester (who's Council's ambition is to make it lighter at night than during the day) and I can still see the likes of Andromeda through my 66mm scope.

If you head up to Winterhill or the Astronomy Centre (per Peter Drew) you should get some pretty good skies there - there will probably be a distant orange glow from the Manchester area but still a huge improvement on conditions in Wigan

regards

John

Archived