Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sun 9 Sept in H-alpha

sheri_barri

A couple more images of the Sun in h-alpha. Despite the lack of sunspots on this day, there were plenty of filaments and prominences. During processing, I tried to bring out the proms using a merged image technique. Hopefully it worked okay to emphasise the structure. There unfortunately are two minor artifacts in the image taken using a 2x barlow which I think are dust particles or dare I say smudges? Also, the barlow introduced a banding on the image. Any suggestions on how to avoid or remove this? All advice welcome.

Cheers,

Sheri

post-15561-133877481065_thumb.jpg

post-15561-133877481074_thumb.jpg

Lots of detail in there!

I suspect you may have dust on the barlow ...

As for the banding, this is likely Newton's Rings. You may be able to reduce this by changing the barlow for a different type. But, if you set the guiding so that there is a bit of drift in RA and/or Dec then the bands will tend to average out.

Very fine image Sheri, and good blending of the proms.

What barlow are you using?

I don't know about solar work, buy the televue powermates are the lunar and planetary brigade's instruments of choice.

Cheers

Rob

I have never tried Solar imaging so I may be way off the mark but I used the 'Spot healing brush' on what I took to be the 'smudges'........ :D

The result is quite dramatic. Cheers for the tip. In an area which does not contain 'unique' detail, the spot healing brush might be the way to go.

Many thanks,

Sheri

As for the banding, this is likely Newton's Rings. You may be able to reduce this by changing the barlow for a different type. But, if you set the guiding so that there is a bit of drift in RA and/or Dec then the bands will tend to average out.

Hi Brian,

Cheers for the tips. I suspect dust as well despite trying to blow it off prior to imaging. The barlow is a 2x Coronado h-alpha optimised. I'll give a try with a couple other standard versions and see if it differs. Slightly surprised the banding did not average out during the avi stack. Or perhaps it did and this was the best of the output..... One to keep investigating!

Many thanks,

Sheri

Archived