NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

On a lighter note.....

Anyone been thinking of one of these for some late night stargazing?

Selk Bag 1: Version 2.0 | IWOOT

I wonder who'll be first to buy one.....lol

Alan.

Nice idea, but I am not sure that they are really that warm...

It says that it has "comfort temperature of 12.4 degrees C"and then "Comfort Temperature: Lower limit of the comfort range down to which a sleeping bag user with a relaxed posture such as lying on the back is globally in equilibrium and just not feeling cold"

So, if I am reading this correctly - it means you will feel comfortable down to 12.4 degrees C.

I am sure they are great for summer festivals - but I would not fancy one at 2am in December.

Cheers,

karl.

Yeti's (congrats on your posts) right, thermal overalls, not the cheap ones UK oil companies dish out now-a-days, the stuff the Norwegians give their guys out the top of Norway with some thermals underneath.

Evidently losing most of your bodyheat through your head is a bit of an urban myth but a warm hat is still a good idea.

My favourite is a long (past the knees mountie style) coat made of real 'wolfskin', a friend gave it to me years ago when he had been working in Northern Canada (it's workwear), it's not very PC but it is mega-warm (if that's a word), I can manage outside with just a t-shirt under it in winter. You're probably not allowed to buy them now-a-days, which is a shame as it was probably a good way of using all the wolves up!

From the OP's link: "As tested by the European EN 13537 standard the sleeping bag can withstand a temperature as low as 0 degrees Celcius - chilly!"

That's T-shirt weather here. :eek:

The main problem with 'cold rated' outerwear is that most of it's rated to be worn by people who work outside, and when you're moving around you'll stay warmer that we do sitting at the eyepiece. That's why i always dress as though it's 30 degrees (F) colder than it actually is... so far, it's worked. :D

Darkly:"Evidently losing most of your bodyheat through your head is a bit of an urban myth but a warm hat is still a good idea."

It's the back of the head and back of the neck area that's the really dangerous area to lose heat.

Studies were done in World War 2 in this regard, with a view to boosting the survival time of pilots that ditched into freezing cold water.

Studies that cost a lot of Concentration Camp involuntary 'guinea pigs' their lives, as they were literally tested to death. :D

It's a sad and completely inadequate tribute to those poor people, that their forced sacrifice has saved so many lives since.

I hope their souls have somehow managed to find Peace.

eta: sorry that's not a 'lighter note' in line with the thread title, but those poor people really do need to be remembered.

errrr thanks for that Ogri, you've definitely brightened up my day!

You are right of course, but, I was simply referring to peoples mistaken anecdotes and I think an episode of mythbusters? (I probably half watched when I was bored one day) and they never mentioned concentration camps! (funnily enough).

I'm working in Northern Germany at the moment, done the maritime museums etc, the younger generation of germans I've met have no issues talking about such things, less hang ups about it than we have I think.

Archived