Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Midprice Celestron v Helios 15x70

neilm

Based on previous recommendations and much internet and bank balance searching I’ve kind of narrowed down my choice for some 15x70. Much as I would like to get the Helios Apollo, I can’t really justify the price.

So I’m split between, Celstron Skymaster. Helios Stellar or Helios Quantum 4...any recommendations or “don’t go near that with a barge pole” comments gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Neil

I tried the helios stellar 15x70's last week when i bought my konus,there very good,pretty light too.

i prefered them to the stellar 20x80's.

could hand hold them quite nicely.

Optics were impressive(in the day).

Celestrons you get what you pay for,bit like my konus,but keep getting good reviews for the money.

Quantum 4's dont know as i ordered a pair couple of weeks ago but didnt get them cos the ones ste had were not right.

Also my konus are for sale in the "sale section.

They are vgood.

Gaz :blob10:

Well, we can all argue about many things and differnces between the above mentioned binoculars.

FWIW i use to have a stellar 20x80 wich i compaired to my then newly obtained 15x70 BA8 series(In Britain the Helios Apollo line).

The BA8 15x70 was superior in almost any way. It comes with a price tag.

I guess one has to think it over what's important for himself.

From the three (Skymaster, stellar, Quantum 4) i would choose the quantum 4

I have had the Helios Stellar 15x70 binoculars for a couple of years and like them a lot.

I use them hand held to try and quickly find objects to look at through my telescope.

I find the extra magnification compared to 10x50 binoculars useful in my light polluted skies.

However, as they are the only 15x70 binoculars I have owned I have no basis for comparison!

Thanks folks, made my mind up and gone for the Stellar's. A quick call to Astronomia in Dorking, like to support the local dealers when I can, it’s not advertised on their web site but can get them no problem, be in within 2 days, I can pick them up on the way home from work..

Cheers

Neil

I see Neil has already made his choice and ordered but I would like to give a thumbs up for the Quantum 4 15 x 70's. Much better than the Celestron 15 x 70's that I had to send back to FLO (who were brilliant - as always apparently).

Mmmm, think I spoke too soon...shop called me next day, excellent! but no, sorry, we can get you some but it'll be a bit of a wait, a month maybe...doh! Bit of quick thinking, do I try somewhere else, thought they all probably use the same importers, does it really matter, it was a bit of a toss up anyway, blow it, I'll have the Qauntums instead...Haven't heard from them yet, which is a good thing, so they must be in the back a truck somewhere heading in the direction of the shop.

Neil

I was right, just picked them up. Given them a quick daylight test, very impressive, think I'm going to get alot of use out of these. Just need to get an L bracket for tripod mounting and a studier/padded case.

Neil

Archived