Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SharpCap - free Astro Webcam Capture Software

rwg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow instant fix. Thankyou very much you just saved a nights viewing and hopefully some first light captures ;)

Sent from tapatalk

Grand news - glad it worked :)

Robin

Hi all

I've tried QHY5 with sharpcap but got strange things. The system is a dual core with win XP and 3Gb of memory. Sharpcap is the latest.

A snapshot of the situation in attach. That's the moon BTW.

Any idea what it is?

Have to say I get the same results with my QHY5 when using sharpcap. My Phillips SPC 900 (880 flashed) and MS Lifecam work fine... but never been able to get the QHY5 working with Sharpcap for some reason.

The QHY5 obviously works with the QGVideo apps supplied with teh camera.

• 3 weeks later...

Robin,

I am just starting to get into astronomy and astophotography. Having a broken back meant I didn't want to stand at a telescope. Between the lifecam mod and this...well let me just say that as an idiot when it comes to this stuff. It is very easy to use and I love the preview pane. Now all I need is to work out what all the settings do....

Thanks Nick

Hi Nick,

glad it works nicely for you - feedback always welcome :). You'll find various posts around the place here and over on astronomyshed.co.uk giving ideas of what settings to use for various webcams.

Robin

Thanks Robin,

I've just has my first play and over exposed Mars so now it looks like a star . Whoops....:)

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/186443-1-modded-lifecam-hd-no-idea-mars-star.html

I now just have to read the manual to figure out how to play with exposure settings...

Your focus looks pretty good (the bright disk has sharp edges), but as others have commented the exposure/brightness are way too high. A barlow would definitely help as not only will you get a bigger image but the brightness will drop as the same light is spread over a larger area on the sensor. Of course focusing becomes more critical with the barlow...

cheers,

Robin

Hello Robin

My sharpcap V 1.5.316 crashed on the foirst run..... I installed it, and clicked teh icon to launch the prog. but it gave me a following report:

---------------------------- Start fo SharpCap crash report -----------------------

SharpCap, Version=1.5.0.316, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

System.ArgumentException: Font 'Arial' does not support style 'Regular'.

at System.Drawing.Font.CreateNativeFont()

at System.Drawing.Font.Initialize(FontFamily family, Single emSize, FontStyle style, GraphicsUnit unit, Byte gdiCharSet, Boolean gdiVerticalFont)

at System.Drawing.Font.Initialize(String familyName, Single emSize, FontStyle style, GraphicsUnit unit, Byte gdiCharSet, Boolean gdiVerticalFont)

at System.Drawing.Font..ctor(String familyName, Single emSize)

at SharpCap.UI.FocusScoreBar..ctor() in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap\UI\FocusScoreBar.cs:line 42

at SharpCap.UI.FocusScoreForm.InitializeComponent() in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap\UI\FocusScoreForm.Designer.cs:line 31

at SharpCap.UI.FocusScoreForm..ctor() in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap\UI\FocusScoreForm.cs:line 44

at SharpCap.UI.SharpCapForm.SharpCap_Shown(Object sender, EventArgs e) in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap\UI\SharpCapForm.cs:line 336

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnShown(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.CallShownEvent()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

===============================================================

Application Log (from start)

Warning: 13:05:48.5506548 SharpCap.FocuserFinder.TryLoadFocuserProxy(FileInfo fi) :: Failed to loaded FocuserProxy assembly Sharpcap.FocuserProxy.ASCOM.dll because : Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.

Debug: 13:05:48.5756562 SharpCap.Cameras.Basler.BaslerCaptureProvider.Initialize(IWin32Window previewTargetWindow) :: Started

Warning: 13:05:48.5936573 SharpCap.MultiCaptureProvider.AddProvider(IWin32Window targetWindowHandle) :: Could not load capture provider - SharpCap.Cameras.Basler.BaslerCaptureProvider - System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'PylonC.NET, Version=2.3.0.2279, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a77e8471c5919d5a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

File name: 'PylonC.NET, Version=2.3.0.2279, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a77e8471c5919d5a'

at PylonC.NETSupportLibrary.ImageProvider..ctor()

at SharpCap.Cameras.Basler.BaslerCaptureProvider.Initialize(IWin32Window previewTargetWindow) in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap.Cameras.Basler\BaslerCaptureProvider.cs:line 89

at SharpCap.MultiCaptureProvider.AddProvider[T](IWin32Window targetWindowHandle) in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap\MultiCaptureProvider.cs:line 349

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.

To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.

Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.

To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Debug: 13:05:48.5936573 SharpCap.Cameras.Basler.BaslerCaptureProvider.Initialize(IWin32Window previewTargetWindow) :: Started

Warning: 13:05:48.5956574 SharpCap.MultiCaptureProvider.AddProvider(IWin32Window targetWindowHandle) :: Could not load capture provider - SharpCap.Cameras.Basler.BaslerLXProvider - System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'PylonC.NET, Version=2.3.0.2279, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a77e8471c5919d5a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

File name: 'PylonC.NET, Version=2.3.0.2279, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a77e8471c5919d5a'

at PylonC.NETSupportLibrary.ImageProvider..ctor()

at SharpCap.Cameras.Basler.BaslerCaptureProvider.Initialize(IWin32Window previewTargetWindow) in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap.Cameras.Basler\BaslerCaptureProvider.cs:line 89

at SharpCap.MultiCaptureProvider.AddProvider[T](IWin32Window targetWindowHandle) in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap\MultiCaptureProvider.cs:line 349

To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.

Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.

To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Debug: 13:05:48.6046579 SharpCap.DirectShow.Capture.Initialize() :: Started

Debug: 13:05:48.6086581 SharpCap.DirectShow.Capture.Initialize() :: Device notification registered

Debug: 13:05:48.6096582 SharpCap.DirectShow.Capture.Initialize() :: Ended

Error: 13:05:48.6326595 SharpCap.Base.Tracer.Trace(LogLevel level, String format, Object[] args) :: Exception from Loading implementation assemby : C:\Program Files (x86)\rwg\SharpCap\LXControllers\inpout32.dll : Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\rwg\SharpCap\LXControllers\inpout32.dll' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.

Stack Trace: at System.Reflection.Assembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoadFrom(String assemblyFile, Evidence securityEvidence, Byte[] hashValue, AssemblyHashAlgorithm hashAlgorithm, Boolean forIntrospection, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom(String assemblyFile)

at SharpCap.Base.InterfaceFactory`2.ScanDll(String filename) in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap.Base\InterfaceFactory.cs:line 55

Extra Info:

Warning: 13:05:48.6556608 SharpCap.MultiCaptureProvider.AddProvider(IWin32Window targetWindowHandle) :: Could not load capture provider - SharpCap.Cameras.ASCOMCamera.AscomCaptureProvider - System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'ASCOM.Utilities, Version=5.5.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=565de7938946fba7' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

File name: 'ASCOM.Utilities, Version=5.5.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=565de7938946fba7'

at SharpCap.Cameras.ASCOMCamera.AscomCaptureProvider.Initialize(IWin32Window previewTargetWindow)

Debug: 13:05:48.6556608 SharpCap.DirectShow.Capture.Initialize() :: Started

Debug: 13:05:48.6576609 SharpCap.DirectShow.Capture.Initialize() :: Device notification registered

Debug: 13:05:48.6576609 SharpCap.DirectShow.Capture.Initialize() :: Ended

Error: 13:05:48.9426772 System.ArgumentException: Font 'Arial' does not support style 'Regular'.

at System.Drawing.Font.CreateNativeFont()

at System.Drawing.Font.Initialize(FontFamily family, Single emSize, FontStyle style, GraphicsUnit unit, Byte gdiCharSet, Boolean gdiVerticalFont)

at System.Drawing.Font.Initialize(String familyName, Single emSize, FontStyle style, GraphicsUnit unit, Byte gdiCharSet, Boolean gdiVerticalFont)

at System.Drawing.Font..ctor(String familyName, Single emSize)

at SharpCap.UI.FocusScoreBar..ctor() in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap\UI\FocusScoreBar.cs:line 42

at SharpCap.UI.FocusScoreForm.InitializeComponent() in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap\UI\FocusScoreForm.Designer.cs:line 31

at SharpCap.UI.FocusScoreForm..ctor() in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap\UI\FocusScoreForm.cs:line 44

at SharpCap.UI.SharpCapForm.SharpCap_Shown(Object sender, EventArgs e) in D:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\1.5\src\SharpCap\UI\SharpCapForm.cs:line 336

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnShown(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.CallShownEvent()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()

---------------------- End of Sharpcap Report -------------------------------

Please provide me with the solution.

Harshal

Hello Robin

---------------------------- Start fo SharpCap crash report -----------------------

SharpCap, Version=1.5.0.316, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

System.ArgumentException: Font 'Arial' does not support style 'Regular'.

The clue is in the first line of the crash report above - somehow the Arial font isn't properly installed on your machine. See this link for instructions on how to download and re-install it.

Lost font: Arial Regular--how can I reinstall it? - Microsoft Answers

Robin

Hello Robin

Re-installed the fonts and the SW started. When exploring the menu I noticed that Help > Show Log window does not have a close button. I had to shut down the tool and restart again.

Harshal

I think that if you select the Log Window menu item again, the log window will close.

Robin

Robin,

SharpCap's Options Drop Down Menu -> Video Capture Filter allows white balance to be auto/manual.

but

Is there a way of setting white balance and/or knowing what it is; using the Video Control Panel .

Yes, I can switch between the Video Capture Filter settings and the Video Control Panel settings BUT how do I know which setttngs are applied and being used?

regards

Tony

Hi Tony,

SharpCap shows in the video control panel all the settings that the driver makes available for it to be change. Quite a lot of webcam drivers only make some (or all!) settings available via the capture filter dialog. In that case there's nothing I can do to add them to the Video Control Panel.

In general, the value that you have changed most recently will take effect. However SharpCap resets the controls from the video control panel sliders when you change resolution or stop/start the preview.

Robin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robin

Can you help me diagnose this problem. When I pop the lifecam into my focusser to assist aligning the secondary I get an image which shows the secondary reasonably well aligned. But it's way off centre to sharpcap graticule. I've reinstalled sharpcap using the latest version and I still get this problem. The graticule is on the centre of the frame but the image of the lifecam is way off to the bottom right. Using mide de collimation graticule tells me the secondary is fairly well aligned but I'm concerned the image is off centre in sharpcap. Any ideas ?

569ad63e-eaae-6ae5.jpg

Sent from tapatalk

I thought the idea when using Dion's tutorial was to place the overlay on the sharpcap reticule so both were centred at the same point, and then centre the secondary so it fits roughly within the rings. If you look at the yellow overlay in your image its further down the screen.

The only other observation is that the life came has a zoom function when the resolution is set less than the HD resolution. This may place the image off centre ??

Dions tutorial

I'm afraid I'll have to pass on collimation issues, as I've not got a newt and haven't collimated one in my life :)

It is entirely possible that your webcam isn't central in the eyepiece holder (or even the chip isn't central in whatever you've mounted it in, which would easily account for the reticule cross not being in the center of the image.

cheers,

Robin

Hi Robin

Can you help me diagnose this problem. When I pop the lifecam into my focusser to assist aligning the secondary I get an image which shows the secondary reasonably well aligned. But it's way off centre to sharpcap graticule. I've reinstalled sharpcap using the latest version and I still get this problem. The graticule is on the centre of the frame but the image of the lifecam is way off to the bottom right. Using mide de collimation graticule tells me the secondary is fairly well aligned but I'm concerned the image is off centre in sharpcap. Any ideas ?

When aligning the secondary, I wouldn't be too bothered about the Sharpcap reticule not being central.It does not need to be.

This is more for mount centralising planetary images.

You can increase the zoom in Sharpcap to 150% - 200%, which then allows you to cursor move the image to centralise it the best you can.

The main collimation purpose of Mire de collimation/lifecam is to rotate the secondary to get the best circlular image you can get.

I still then use my Cheshire to centralise the secondary to the primary (mirror clips all in view) .And then use the barlowed laser method to centralise the primary.....

Wayne

Thanks. I've assuming that the lifecam chip is off centre. I ended up doing it with a collimation cap and a laser :)). The image through the lifecam was good and the mire de collimation worked well but I've no idea why the image from the lifecam isn't centred in sharpcap that can't be down to the chip as the downtube is off centre to the frame created by sharpcap and the view from the lifecam is limited channeled.by the downtube. I thought perhaps it was something to do with screen ratios and video settings but I gave up in the end ......

Sent from tapatalk

It would br great to have multiple different exposure interval capturing function, that would be especially useful in HDR solar Halpha imaging and Venus transit! Thanks!

I have considered adding a scripting engine to SharpCap so that you could write little scripts that would be able to do all this sort of thing - multiple exposures in sequence with different parameters, delays, loops, etc.

It's a great idea, but way down on my list of SharpCap things to do :)

Robin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a bit of a feature request and I don't know how possible it would be. Would it be possible to add a transform that allowed a dark frame to be loaded and applied to the video feed to try and clean up the image and reduce noise?

• 1 month later...

As recommended I've moved this from the Discussion > software forum

I'm running SharpCap v1.5.0.328 with a (Morgan's) spc880nc unmodified.

Of late I've noticed that the values in the *.txt file vary from the slider values made/shown on the computer screen.

Also, I seem to be getting a different image quality saved, from that indicated when capturing trhe avi.

I quite often have to revert [webcam(??) software (???)] to factory settings to get the webcam+software system to function.

I always use the Video Capture Filter setting to ensure that (except for white balance) auto is off

I always use the Video Control panel to set the recording values - changing the sliders (as necessary) during the avi capture run.

The end result is that the images are far darker than they appear during the capture session, and the background is very grainy,

AND, as an example

gamma [set at zero with the slider] is recorded as a high value.

Does anyone have any ideas?

regards

Tony

Hello Robin.

We tried some LRGB planetary last night. We desperately need

1. ASCOM Pulseguiding support so that the planet stays roughly centered
  2. Support for ASCOM filter wheels
  3. Ability to script L-R-G-B sequences, with files named according to filter used and the ability to repeat such sequences automatically, possibly adding focusing offsets for each filter and automatically loading different Profiles for each filter.
  4. Some bugs that caused Sharpcap to close when loading previously stored profiles need to be fixed.

I can help with any coding needed.

Archived