Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

White spot / oval on Jupiter

John

Check out Jupiter at the moment if you can - I'm currently seeing a lovely white spot / oval on the N side of the NEB with a darkened area of the NEB adjacent and to the W of it :D

I'm using a 6" F/8 refractor.

I've been looking at Jupiter too, but the positioning at the moment means I can't get the C11 on it, so had to make do with the Megrez90. Didn't see the spots visually, but put the DMK and powermate in and got this (quick process only as I really should be in bed!!)

Helen

PS its been a good night as I think I got Uranus for the first time :D

post-13020-133877474113_thumb.jpg

Nice picture Helen - thanks for posting it so quickly :D

That's pretty much the view I was getting with my 6" refractor @ 240x - I'm glad I was not imagining the white spot and the darkening adjacent to it !.

PS: Congratulations on Uranus !.

Saw this too John. It had just rotated onto the disk when I was out observing with my 12". I put a skethc up in the sketching section. The first thing that grabbed me was the dark oval in the northern component. As it came further onto the disk the white spot became visible too.

This arrangement seems to have become a fairly permanent fixture at this longitude so far this summer. I first picked these up in roughly the same position and arrangement in early July.

Did you see the two large faint white ovals in the EZ further around the disk? They are really quite ghostly - close together like eyes!

Jupiter was over the neighbours roof at 1 am so the views through my 14" at 214x in my 7mm T1 were a little disturbed to say the least and ended up switching down to a 20mm (75x). That said I noticed a definite and distinct darkening at the edge of the band (almost seemed black at moments) but I was so taken up with that I missed the white spot. :D

....Did you see the two large faint white ovals in the EZ further around the disk? They are really quite ghostly - close together like eyes!

I was not able to observe the planet for long enough last night Seb so I did not manage to catch this pair - thanks for the heads up on them though - I'll be watching out for them now !.

Archived