Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepieces used on SW Explorer 200P ?

Hello all. My first proper post.

I'm planning to purchase a SW 200P/HEQ5 Syntrek and looking into EPs and accessories. Although the supplied 25mm is reasonable, the 10mm is widely regarded as being poor and the F5 ratio is demanding on EPs.

The sticky by The Warthog suggests an 8mm, 18mm and 25mm as a combination for an F5 reflector, but what EPs have members actually used with this 'scope ?

Many thanks

I have a 32mm Sky-Watcher Panavision which is always first into my 200P, it gives really nice contrasty wide-field views thru this scope. Then i'll prob use the more expensive 24mm Panoptic to zoom in a bit - very sharp views across the whole field of view. And then there's the Ethos 13mm - I think i'll be keeping this for the rest of my days, it is amazing to look thru - but flippin expensive!!

I would really recommend the 32 mm Panavision for the 200P it' just such a nice EP to use and not ridiculously expensive!

Oh! And welcome to the forum..!!

Doc

I can second that, the 32 Panavision is a lovely chunky, contrasty eyepiece, defo the first to go in during a session. I use hyperions after that with the spacing rings because of their flexibility (2" & 1.25), and the camera thread they have built in. The Panavision is a better eyepiece for viewing though, should be in everyones bag methinks.

The problem with asking about EPs here is that you will get a host of replies suggesting you need to spend hundreds of pounds on a single EP.

That's just the case! I have to same scope and have only been able to use it briefly so far, but I also have a well used 6" 15.

I've never spent more than £40 on an EP and never will! All my EPs are 2nd hand from here and Astro Buy Sell. Why buy new when you can get as good as for a fraction of the price?

WO UWA 6mm, Super apogee 9.5mm, Tal 40mm plossl, 25 and 15mm paridigams - all very good. Lovely views, clear and sharp in each.

I'm just dabbling in 2" EPs, but haven't had a clear night yet.

Good point The Thing! There are plenty of really good EPs out there that don't cost the earth, luckily lots of peeps on the forum will let you know which work well in what scopes!

:oI must admit ive spent a lot of money recently on EPs - very nice ones mind you, which i'll keep for years and years no doubt - but you don't have to spend anywhere near that to achive fantastic results!!

You'll find with EPs that it's quite an individual thing though and you'll have your own favorites etc - it all becomes part of the fun!

Doc

Archived