Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade ETX 90

Hello,

I have seen a few of these recently within my grab scope price range, just wondering if anyone had an opinion on these little scope, anyone ever owned one? anything to watch out for? I have a 127 mak and love it, but i don't consider it a grab or portable because i need to take it in quite a few packages, Tube/Mount/Eyepeices/Powertank. i have been looking for a case that can hold the tube and az arm but it would need to be 50x40x20 internals which i haven't found yet. i imagine with would be expensive.

The ETX90 often comes with case and tripod bag which contains everything ur need for a nights observing.

My main interests are planet viewing and light imaging, DSO's are great from the garden with my 250px.

Any advice would be great

Thanks,

Colin

My first 'scope was an ETX 90 and a box full of Meade s4000 Plossls, and it was a great bit of kit - portable, and pretty reasonable GOTO. From what I remember it went a bit screwy when the power ran low (the LX200s do as well) so worth a decent powertank, but I got great views with it.

It succumbed to aperture fever after about three months when I got an unexpected bonus and got a 8" LX200, so I gave it to a friend. They're still using it...

For example there is an add here on astro buy and sell, looks the part all nice and compact, this guy is only about £15 diesel away.

I have also considered holding out for the 125, but you must be looking at at least 450 once get get the travel cases etc.

Dont buy the special ETX125 case as B&Q do a Stanley tool box on wheels for £30 to 40 quid and it fits a treat. Also plenty of storage for bits and bobs.

Ive done a post on it if you search my posts so you can see what i mean.

Thats a great link, thanks for that. It makes me think that the 90 would make the better travel scope.

Maybe ill just buy the thing and try it out, 170 with the cases seems like a good price i should be able to sell without losing too much.

Archived