Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Big Bins Under SSP Skies

Another 15mm pic, 30s @ 2.8 and ISO 800.

Many thanks to Mark for keeping still and for letting my son and I look through those awesome bins. What a night!

In case anyone notices, I took out the hog roast gazebo because it spoilt the outline of the scope in the background.

post-18666-133877471075_thumb.jpg

The bins aren't mine but I believe they are 100mms. They take interchangeable eyepieces and the mount is home made. An awesome set-up.

Peter, are you suggesting that I'm bending the truth somewhat???:)

Thanks for the pics, Jon. They are really glorious and glad I could be used as a model. Obviously I look better for the dark than on vogue! It was good fun listening to you set up and giving Ian a tutorial as I observed.

The bins are APM 100mm binoculars with 45 deg eyepieces. I got them earlier in the week and gave them first light on Saturday night. Scanning the milky way from Cas to Sag/Scorpius was simply stunning, bright wide fields of view and the pleasure of using two eyes. The double cluster was unbelievable. I finished the night looking at all three parts of the Veil nebula with UHC filters at x30, absolutely jaw dropping. A sketch of the Lagoon nebula will follow when I get round to scanning it.

The views must have been good as I was next to the 20" and 18" obsessions and was quite happy using the binos!!

They are mounted on a homemade alt-az mount using dob bearings on an (also homemade) oak tripod. The dob-style mount is currently under review as the binos are cantilevered out resulting in a lot of strain on the centre bolt. I am thinking of making a simple fork mount without any tilt - pics will follow in the diy section in due course.

First time I've posted in the imaging section so I'm off to wash my hands!!

Clear skies and here's to another fun SSP.

Mark

Archived