Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 rebuild grease? is this any good?

I used the stuff on this page Skywatcher Focuser Tune-up have a look about halfway down the page - theres a pic of the tin. Its just a good quality lithium grease.

You could get superlube from RS here Loctite | Workshop Consumables | Lubricants, Greases and Cutting Fluids | Precison Lubricants | Lubricants |399420 but I never bothered as its a bit excessive - I mean its not like your likley to be out observing in -40' or that your mount is going to spin around at very high speed.

Americans love the high tech superlub but I always find basic white lithium is good enough. It kep my old pushbike greased through about 10 years of misuse and being left outside in all weathers.

Sounds like your worm engagement is too tight OR (and I got caught out with this) your motors have power but your trying to turn the cogs by hand. If your going to manually puish the cogs round make sure the motors have no power.

If the motors wont drive the mount and its making a kerrunk kerrunk type sound then either the worm is too tight OR the worm endfloat is too tight. There are other reasons too - the DEC taper bearinga nd assembly (near the weight bar) is done upo way too tight but you;d jreally have to have that bunny down super tight to jam the mount.

This gear here....

dec-026.jpg

Should Slide and slip freely inside this collar?dec-019.jpg

Should it not?

If that is so, then I have noticed that the teflon washer has split in half, but still stuck in place with grease, would this be the cause?? I doubt it, mainly as the Gear body does not slide into the collar as easy as i would expect it to?

I have had a little look around it, it doesn't seem to have any pronounced edges that immediately catch my eye.

As for putting it on square...i'm a bloke, if a hammer it hard enough it will go square lol....

Only joking, it's square as far as I see, although i'm sure it was spinning before i got it all apart lol.

Archived