NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First outing with NexImage -Jupiter at Salisbury SP

AllanJ

The first time I have used NexImage CCD, at the Salisbury Star Party. Scope was NexStar 4SE, with a 2xBarlow.The avi used was 40 sec at 10 fps. When it rained next day I manually selected the best looking 220 frames out of 400, then stacked 100 in Registax.

Allan

post-14543-133877470191_thumb.jpg

Good first image. Why not let Registax loose on the whole batch, and let it select the best say 85%? That would improve your photon count, which reduces the noise. I also think you could try the RGB align of Registax, as I think there is some atmospheric dispersion affecting the image (red edge along bottom, blue edge along top).

Still good first go!

Cheers

Michael

Michael - thanks for the advice. I did the Registax processing on the full set initially, but then deselected frames where the belt didn't look very strong, and this gave me what seemed a more featured image. I'll try the RGB align later today.

Cheers,

Allan

Thanks again Michael. I had played a bit more with the image last night, despite saying I was going to stop, and I had darkened the background. I also used a touch of Gaussian blur on a circular selection area covering the planet to remove a bit of graininess that had crept in, and this smoothed the features somewhat; since there wasn't a lot of non-linear detail it didn't seem to matter at that scale. Overall what surprised me was the difference between the processing by Registax 2, which came bundled with NexImage, and Registax 5, which I have now put on my travelling netbook as well as my desktop.

Next time I try Jupiter, I hope to do it with my 10" scope.

Allan

Archived