Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ep, good or bad?

The Kellner is a rather old, 3 element design which I think has been largely surpassed nowadays. That said, with your slow scope it should work OK. Just don't expect too much of it.

Check that they don't have one going cheap in their Astroboot section.

ok will do, but if you can recommend a decent ep for about £20 than i will be interested! any ideas welcome!

You can get a decent plossl for £20 from First Light Optics. Used, you can get them for even less :p

ok cool! are they not the Ep's that come with sw scopes?

Depends on the SW scope but the ones I've had have come with modified achromats which are based on the kellner design. The plossls are a bit better than those IMHO although for £20 you are not going to get a big step up in performance to be honest.

I highly recommend one of the Skywatcher Ultrawides for your Evostar. I found they work well even at f6 in my 200P, so your scope won't tax them at all. They are really sharp on axis and should still be sharp towards the edge in your scope. They have a nice 66deg apparent field of view and very comfortable eye relief. There only real downside was some light scatter with a bright object just outside the field.

They are £24.99, so just over budget but worth the extra £5.

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/Sky-Watcher/%20Ultrawide/%20Eyepieces.html

I highly recommend one of the Skywatcher Ultrawides for your Evostar. I found they work well even at f6 in my 200P, so your scope won't tax them at all. They are really sharp on axis and should still be sharp towards the edge in your scope. They have a nice 66deg apparent field of view and very comfortable eye relief. There only real downside was some light scatter with a bright object just outside the field.

They are £24.99, so just over budget but worth the extra £5.

Sky Watcher Sky-Watcher Ultrawide Eyepieces (6mm to 20mm)

Good suggestion Russ - I didn't realise those had come down to that price :p

A 6mm (or was it 9mm ?) one of those has just been sold in the classifieds section for about £17.00 !.

The 9mm maybe a good size to get. It will give 100x in your scope as is and that will be great for globular clusters and planetary nebula plus a really sharp medium power look at the moon. And then you can barlow it for 200x and hopefully a good look at the planets. My 90mm (a Celestron Astromaster 90) holds up very well at 200x, so i would imagine the Evostar will too.

The 6mm by itself gives a nice 150x, which will be a nice lunar/planetary power for almost any clear night of the year. But maybe too much power for a high power look at globs. But it would be nice for double star observing.

The 15mm will be too low powered, even if barlowed, for any planetary observing.

fantastic advice guys! thank you! i will defiantely be getting one of those! thank you! i think i will opt for the 9mm so i get a nice low power for clusters etc and 200x for planets!

thanks again!

Archived