NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

9th August Messiers

pbyrne

Hi there.

The first clear night in months had me out under the stars again and I got to hunt down some Messiers to sketch.

I hope you enjoy them.

M17

4878781495_eea8507ebc_b.jpg

I was amazed at how bright this object was, even at x56 it was so obvious, despite being low in the sky. Did I get it right?:p

M16

4878780967_de49b24b9e_b.jpg

The cluster of stars is easy to see, the nebula itself was very difficult, I tried an O-III, but it showed very little and averted vision was very helpful.

M75

4878782209_28504f5122_b.jpg

This globular has a very distinct core with a surrounding halo of nebulosity. No individual star could be seen.

M13

4878780175_5e9b114d04_b.jpg

I have been putting off sketching M13, simply because it scared me, there is so much detail to see. I took a deep breath and started, and enjoyed every minute of it. The entire sketch took about 45 minutes with going back and forth to see new things.

Thanks for your time.

Fantastic sketching Paul That M13 is delicious !! You've captured those beautiful star streamers really well. You know, I have the same fear of sketching M13 as you had. I have thought about doing a sketch several times, but always chickened out :p

I take my hat off to you with that one.

Btw, really like your eagle nebula too. I spied it with my 12" earlier in the summer and found that an OIII really helped to define the nebulosity. I think you've captured the delicacy of it really well

Archived