NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Really bright galaxy?

Astorix

Evening all,

Just wondering, i am going to try and get some scoping in tonight! hopwfully our clear skies will hold out! but was just wondering if any one knew what bright galaxies were about atm to see in m 90mm evostar? i know jupiter is out atm so will obviously check that out but just wanted a rough idea of what was about atm? :)

many thanks!

My personal favourites with a small scope are M81 and M82 in Ursa Major. I first spotted these with a 60mm refractor many years ago. With a low power eyepiece you can fit both into the same FoV.

wow, thanks guys that really helps! have just looked on stellarium and think i can find them now! have taken a pic of the screen to help guide me! :)

Also can any one help with a problem i have been having with jupiter. Even when looking at it through a 10mm ep it is soooooooooo bright! and cant make any detail! also i cant seem to focus my scope on it? everything else is fine except jupiter. any ideas?

Could try some filters if you have any, this would reduce the brightness and increase the contrast. There are others on here who would be better to let you know of the right options. But from what I can gather, you never know what works best until you try it for yourself.

...Also can any one help with a problem i have been having with jupiter. Even when looking at it through a 10mm ep it is soooooooooo bright! and cant make any detail! also i cant seem to focus my scope on it? everything else is fine except jupiter. any ideas?

This thread may be of interest :)

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-discussion/110369-getting-most-out-jupiter.html#post1493949

I found last night that M94 in Canes Venatici is small but has a very high surface brightness, which is what counts in galaxy observation, and easily visible in my 8" dobsonian. It might end up being tricky to find for a beginner though as it is a fairly sparse area of sky.

Archived