Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is an EQ6 connectable to a computer

Liz

Hope that I have posted in the right section here..question as per the header. On the LX90 I could plug my laptop into it to take control of the telescope. I have searched on the internet (when I should be working :?!) and have not found whether the same thing is possible with the EQ6. Not too worried if I can't as the laptop is going to be employed more with DSLR focus and processing stuff, but it would be good to be able to click to go to my next target rather than going through the control handset. Sorry is this is a dumb question.

You can use more or less any program that can control a scope, there's even freeware like Carte's Du Ciel available from: http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/ you use the RS232 cable that comes with the mount. The old V2 handsets use Nexstar 5/8 protocol and have to be manually set to RS232 mode. The V3 handsets connect automatically and use the more advanced Nexstar 8i protocol, I believe, but I haven't tried this yet because of the fine cloudy evenings we've been having lately :rolleyes:

bern

Rog., there's no need to sit next to it, in fact my plan over the next few days is to run it from the laptop in front of the telly and a beer.

Liz, yes the goto version will accept PC control from most of the planetarium software packages as it is ASCOM compliant. As I said, I want to attemp remote control as my pier is not isolated from the shed base and I don't want to stamp about and shake the 'scope. Also I don't want to stand watching the 'scope imaging if it's going to be at it for over an hour. I'm hoping that I can monitor / control K3CCD to see what's happening and drive the 'scope to a new target when necessary using Starry night Pro.

You'll need to use XP Pro. and use the remote access facility along with wifi or wired networking for this, or buy PC Anywhere.

I'll keep you posted as to how it goes.

Captain Chaos

Archived