NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Any Nikon Coolpix Users out there ?

Polar Bear

I am currently having fun modifying some cheap web cams and also considering modifying some inexpensive Nikon Coolpix 990's . I am conversant with the spec and I am an experienced photographer both with film and digital.

Does anybody on the forum use them ? I have already looked at sites on the web.

I would like some idea of noise problems and whether anyone has done the following

fitted cooling

removed the lens

used the remote capture software.

Paul :)

Hi Paul,

Yes, I’ve used a 990. I can tell you they are a bit noisy and normally have a few hot pixels. Just what you’d expect for the age but they are not a hopeless case, especially if you have one or can get one for free.

There are remote and noise software solutions but as I’m just about to go out I’ll have to get back to you later.

I’ve taken a 995 apart and the slip glass does come out. I’ve not taken the lens off or tried cooling.

Here is a fish eye photo taken to show the light pollution in my back garden. Coolpix 990 and dark subtracted.

Dave.

post-13139-133877467736_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul,

Yes, I’ve used a 990. I can tell you they are a bit noisy and normally have a few hot pixels. Just what you’d expect for the age but they are not a hopeless case, especially if you have one or can get one for free.

There are remote and noise software solutions but as I’m just about to go out I’ll have to get back to you later.

I’ve taken a 995 apart and the slip glass does come out. I’ve not taken the lens off or tried cooling.

Here is a fish eye photo taken to show the light pollution in my back garden. Coolpix 990 and dark subtracted.

Dave.

Hi Dave

thanks for that, I did find some remote software for controlling one. They can be had for very little on ebay. I was hoping to remove the lens and loop the wiring to it when I find out the conditions the camera needs to see from it (if possible) Should be quite simple as the camera has manual focus so it should be able to be set , look at the condition on the control and simulate it, same with the iris control. I also thought of splitting the camera at the swivel and then cooling the CCD to reduce noise. Its all good fun....:)

Hi Paul,

There are a few free control programmes out there. Digital-Camera.DK

cPix Software There is at least one more but I can't remember what it is !! Bit of an odd name I think. It'll come to me.

As you may already know, when the camera boots it checks a few things out. Zoom, focus, iris etc. Mess with them and you may end up tearing your hair out. The manual focus is electronic so you still need the full boot up.

If you check out yahoo groups there is a 990 section. I think it died some time ago but still has the search feature.

Dave.

Remembered...www.velatron.com/dca/theforce

Hi Paul,

There are a few free control programmes out there. Digital-Camera.DK

cPix Software There is at least one more but I can't remember what it is !! Bit of an odd name I think. It'll come to me.

As you may already know, when the camera boots it checks a few things out. Zoom, focus, iris etc. Mess with them and you may end up tearing your hair out. The manual focus is electronic so you still need the full boot up.

If you check out yahoo groups there is a 990 section. I think it died some time ago but still has the search feature.

Dave.

Remembered...www.velatron.com/dca/theforce

Thanks for that Dave I will look into the software. I understand the issues with removing parts and the trauma it can invoke but then nothing ventured as the saying goes. Its such a shame there does not seem to be one camera out there that has both bulb setting , a CCD chip and a fixed focus lens and iris that could just be removed, and under £10.00 ! or am I asking too much ? :) I am always 'tinkering' so we will see where this goes and if not a Coolpix I may find some other camera that can be modified.

Paul

hi, i have a 995 coolpix for astrophotography ,which i bought off ebay , it has been taken apart by myself for cleaning , it has a plastic compact lens assembly and three pcb's and a lots of small wires, there is a bacup battery for keeping settings and time etc this is not recharging , it is soldered to the pcb , i have searched the web for a replacement to no avail, any thoughts on this ? there are a few articles about coolpix macro and micro photography and some on astro on the web, but i have seen nothing about lens removal, from what i have seen its all afocal , i have an adapter from 28mm to 42 t thread that fits my focuser it does vingnette a bit ,

regards noise it does have some and a few hot pixels but manageable, i have'nt yet done any astro work with it , i am not sure if the layout lends itself to prime focus as the ccd is quite deep in the camera ? let me know how you get on.

Archived