Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observed a satellite tonight??

Hey,

Decided to sign up to these forums out of pure curiosity as to what I saw tonight. (Apologies if this is in the wrong section/sub section.)

Was walking home from a night out when I looked up and saw what was similiar to a moderately bright star in the sky but it was moving. I watched it move right across the full length of the night sky until it grew so faint I could no longer see it. I live in the North east of England, was initially wondering if it was the ISS passing overhead, although upon searching ISS when I returned home I found it to be over South America at this time, so i'm assuming it must be some other satellite. Was wondering if anyone could tell me exactly what I saw? I would be fascinated to find out.

Cheers.

EDIT - I'm almost certain this is in the wrong section of this particular forum, I am sorry for that, just posted as I had searched the internet to see if anyone else had obvserved the same sight in my area, but I found nothing, and if anyone could help me identify what I witnessed I would be very grateful.

Could you give a time (within 5 minutes) and approximate direction of travel and we may be able to suggest which satellite it may have been - there are dozens that can be seen with the naked eye! How bright was it? Much brighter than the stars, about the same as the brightest or quite faint?

It was moderately bright, although slightly fainter than the majority of stars.

It was between 2:00 - 2:05am, and looking at a map i'd say it was travelling almost spot on west to east. Coordinates of the town where I live are

Coordinates: 55°09′47″N 1°40′41″W / 55.163°N 1.678°W / 55.163; -1.678

if that helps, cheers :).

Possibly SO-50 (ess oh hyphen five zero) a satellite used for amateur radio? Its the only candidate showing on Stellarium (free download planetarium software with satellites shown as an additional function) at about the right time and place.

Try googling it to find out more!

If it wasnt the ISS and it wasnt a meteor (no mistaking a meteor) then all it could be is a satellite. On the average night i have spotted dozens when observing with bins. Not many of them are bright enough for me to see naked eye, but my eyesight aint the best.

Archived