Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stellarium Ocular Plugin

Been playing with the ocular plugin for Stellarium, somethings not right, inputted details for my scope and for a baader hyperion 8mm, I center on the moon, turn the ocular on, it shows that it's x125 (which it should be) yet the full moon fits in the ocular outline, now that def aint right! :mad:

At 125x the moon should fit into 68 degree AFOV - but in real-life (a) the moon varies in apparent size, and (:mad: manufacturers stated AFOV and/or focal-length isn't always spot-on.

On the other hand, it might just be that you need to quit stellarium and re-start it. I find that's always necessary after playing with the parameters for the occular plug-in.

I find the pluggin a bit off.

One of the thinks I really don't like is how it shows a full circle that is as tall as the screen. Then if I activate the data for my ethos 10mm + barlow I get a nice FOV. When I switch to the baader ortho 5mm it shows me a circle as wide (which makes it look as if it had the same FOV as the Ethos) and objects in it are much larger then with the 10mm ethos + barlow, while in reallity the magnification should be the same. They should use a wide full screen circle for the largest AFOV EP in the settings and then reduce the size of the circle to show a realistic comparison between the EPs.

Have you ticked the "scale circle" box?

Oooo.... you don't wanna be doing that...

I'm not sure exactly what they're doing when that box is ticked - but whatever it is, it's really dumb... :mad:

- it's certainly not what you'd expect it to do - i.e. the desired behavior mentioned above.

I have added my eyepieces and telescopes to the plugin.

How do i select and change so that stellarium will show the view through the different telescopes and eyepieces that i have entered ?

Graham

from memory, ctrl and ] or [ works through eyepieces you have entered and shift and [ or ] goes through your different scopes if youve added more than one

from memory, ctrl and ] or [ works through eyepieces you have entered and shift and [ or ] goes through your different scopes if youve added more than one

Yeah this was really a bright idea! :D

[ and ] don't exist as independent keys on most latin based keyboards. To produce those you need to use left alt + some other key so there's no way to actually use those hotkeys on a non-english keyboard.

I can work around it by switching to english keyboard layout but then I loose the accent keys which are needed for the search as it's accent sensitive so Jupiter needs to be written as "Júpiter" to produce a hit... :mad:

Any half decent programming book teaches you to use standard keys for any hotkey functionality... Can't complain much I guess since it's freeware and all.

Archived