NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Skymax 127 and Focal Reducer

While I am new to astronomy (apparently a vacuum) I am content with my Binolculars and spotting scope at the moment. I am looking at buying a scope. I had convinced myself a Dob would be the right choice but, I am know considering a Skywatcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak plus a focal reducer. The reason is compact size and the potential to do some astrophotography in the future. With the focal reducer I would be able to see some of the DSO in there glory. If I became more 'enthusiastic' ( depending on finances and space) I could buy a 10" Dob which would complement the Skymax pretty well.

Interested to know what others feel about focal reducers and the plus and minus sides.

Focal reducer will increase the field of view, and make few things brighter (as they will be smaller), but it won't make 127 mm scope perform as 10" scope would do. Visual is much more complicated than astrophotography, where focal ratio "rulez".

The standard Meade/ Celestron x0.63 reducer needs an adaptor to fit the rear thread for the Skymax. You'll also need an adaptor from SCT thread to 1.25" female, and probably a spacer extension or two to achieve the required distance of 110mm between the reducer and the final image/ focus.

It works reasonably well but you won't get full wide field views due to the vignetting from the small (28mm) baffle inside the scope.

I'm not sure the Skymax 127 is going to produce very good results for DSO images. The skymax is more of a planetary scope and without a EQ mount I fear you will be disappointed. Certainly for observing DSOs its not going to give you a very heavy fever. DSOs are very very faint with this scope. With mine I concentrate on the Planets.

Archived