Meade EXT 60AT BB - What should be my next telescope?

Guest LJG7777

Guest LJG7777

Hi,

I currently have the above and was wondering what would be a good telescope to move on to.

I know the one I have is only a beginners scope really and not very powerful. I managed to see the Andromeda Galaxy last night which was only represented as a very faint smudge. I also managed to get Jupiter through a crack in the fence and I think I managed to spot it's four well known moons, 3 were lined up beatifully to it's right and one to it's left (if anyone knows if these 'weren't' it's moons please let me know as I'm only a beginner). Although I managed to get Jupiter it wasn't very clear and I couldn't see any cloud detail. It was impressive but I need something a bit better.

I do suffer light pollution where I am based (doesn't everyone?) but am wondering if a more powerful scope would compensate slightly for this and give me the images I am craving.

I'm not after the 'best' scope, just my 'next' scope so any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,

Lee.

Hi Lee,

Well done with what you've seen so far.

One of the free astronomy programs like Stellarium or Cartes du Ceil (Google them) will help you decipher what you see, as will the observing pages in Sky at Night or Astronomy Now magazines. It does sound like you clocked the 4 most prominent moons though.

As for getting a better view, I think you're going to need a bigger apature. Your 60mm scope is only just over 2" in apature. In this business size is king!

Perhaps a bigger scope in the Newtonian style would benefit you more - something like a 6 - 8", either on an equatorial mount or in the dobsonian version might be your next step?

Have a look at First Light Optics web pages (banner at the top of the page) and give them a ring. They will steer you right!

You don't say if you want another goto or not, which I supose is the first question. Then comes refractor or reflactor and finally size. Is transportion intended? Any future intentions not mentioned?

If another goto then I guess the SW 127 Mak is the obvious. Think they do a 102 so that is another less expensive option.

Somewhere they also do a 120 goto refractor if you wanted the wider fields of view that it would offer.

Next I guess it is a Dob, bigger but you have to locate everything, presume that by now you will have picked up the main bits up there. So will have some idea of finding things.

Then comes an equatorial mount and scope. After my little ETX I went to an EQ and Megrez 90.

Yes what you saw will have been Jupiter and it's moons. What magnification were you on? With 60x I can see some of the banding, although I gather that one band has sort of done a runner. Will be higher in Sept I gather so even with the 60 give it another try.

Hi Lee

IMHO I would go for a 8" Dob due to light pollution, there is always somthing on Ebay or if you can go new speak to Steve on First Light Optics or as Capicorn said SW 127 Mak if you don't want it to big

Good Luck

Doug

Essex

------------------------------------------------------------------

Meade LX90 8" ACF

ect ect

If you want to stay with a refractor have a wander to the S@N forum:eek::D. Someone has posted a first light review of a Startravel 120 on an EQ3-2.:mad::rolleyes:

Would give 4x the collection of the Meade and a move to an EQ mount. You could add motors either later or when purchased.

You mentioned something about craving doing images. Before you make a decision you should consider that a telescope on an Alt-Az mount is not the best for long exposure (Deep sky imaging), unless you have a wedge.

If you really intend to do deep sky stuff a motorised equatorial mount with guiding capability is best.

If you're only wanting to do Moon and Planets then you only need reasonable tracking as they are done by video which can be stacked.

Just don't want you to spend out on another scope and then find it doesn't do all you want it to.

Carole

Guest LJG7777

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I've managed to get my hand on a Meade Lightbridge 8" for quite a good price so I'm going to see how I get on with this.

I didn't want another goto scope as I view from the end of my garden and they can be quite noisy when all is quiet. My neighbours who have their windows open on summer nights tend to get a bit annoyed. I don't really blame them to be honest, the whiring would drive me mad as well!

Lee.

I think you will be delighted with the 8" LB. Yes you have to point it yourself, but with Stellarium, you will get a good idea of where to look. If you are handy, check out Docs modifications to his 16" LB.

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/79817-my-dob-degree-circle-modification.html

With a degree circle, and an angle finder, you will be able to push the scope to the coordinates given in Stellarium or a similar sky map programme. That makes things a bit easier, Docs now a human goto!

Clear skies!

Archived