NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Toucams, Filters, Barlows Questions

TopHouse

having just got my laptop, I'm completely new to webcam imaging.

I have two of the Skywatcher deluxe barlows, anyone familiar with these will know that you can unscrew the lens elements.

I have a toucam with a nosepiece and IR filter fitted.

I'm assuming that the added length of using the barlow normally is what gives it's focal length, hence it's magnification, so, is there any benefit to unscrewing the lens elements from one of my barlows and screwing it straight into my IR filter on my toucam nosepiece?

Normally i'd play about with this and find out for myself but this cloud isn't showing much sign of lifting, hence my milling over theories and mod ideas.

If you do that you will (as you correctly assume) reduce the level of the barlow lens magnification. Usually due to the small size of the chip on the Toucam you want to use a focal reducer to widen the field of view or lower the magnification.

A focal reducer to fit more of the moon on the chip, you should not need long exposures on the moon, as it's so bright. Just record the video and then stack it in something like Registax.

For the planets you will need magnification, usually a 2x or 3x barlow or even up to a 5x to 8x Barlow depending on your scope.

You have two options with those barlows... but I recommend getting used to the kit without them first... and building up slowly. Focusing becomes more awkward the more you pile in.

1) Stack em.... for 4 times... you may be surprised what you can get away with. I've used 10x worth of barlow on my 80mm frac with my qhy5v, utterly mad but amazing.

2) take the lens from one, and use the other as an extention tube between the barlow and the camera. This will increase the magnificaton on the one without adding any extra glass.

2) take the lens from one, and use the other as an extention tube between the barlow and the camera. This will increase the magnificaton on the one without adding any extra glass.

That's an idea, a bit like a Baader Hyperion tuning ring, might try that, would it not vignette though using such a long length (fnarr fnarr)

Archived