Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fusion IR filter

Mamsoth

Hello sgl, I'm about to take my fusion webcam apart and was just wondering if anyone had any advice about romoving the ir filter from the lense assembly. I've never done it before and have heard stories of people inadvertantly destroying the delicate filter.

Any help would really be appreciated :mad:

I think the first question is, are you going to use this in a telescope if so, will the adapter have a thread for filters. I just use a ir blocker filter that threads on to the adapter.

If you do want to keep the original filter I would suggest the following (I have not tried this).

Remove the black plastic ccd shroud that the lens screws into. If this is not possible then extra care is needed.

The ir filter is at the bottom of the lens assembly so I would screw the lens in the shroud until I knew that the ir filter is well inside and then using a craft knife with a new blade and rest the lens end on a support (table) slice the lens part off .

Having the filter end screwed in to the shroud will protect it as the shroud will help keep the shape of the insert.

Another thing is that if you do this it will make it hard to clean the ccd chip without pulling the whole thing apart.

• 2 months later...

I unscrewed the lense/filter assembly (cutting the glue carefully with a craft knife) and then sliced off the top thumb nut section leaving the thread and the rest of the shaft intact. Then I prised the lense out and screwed the assemby back into the housing leaving the IR filter in-situ.

Looks ok; but not tested at night yet.

Archived