Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Optics 10" Europa Tube Cap Replacement

My 10" F/4.8 OO newtonian came with a very thin moulded plastic tube cap that took over the prize from my old Meade Lightbridge for the flimsiest tube cap ever :mad:

Unsuprisingly, it's showing signs of falling to bits already and, rather than invest in an OO replacement which I suspect would be identical and equally short lived, I'd like to find a more robust alternative - can anyone suggest where I might get something suitable ?

Something like a large polythene / plastic lid would do fine - just something to keep the dust out of the top of the tube. If OO make more robust versions (eg: metal) I might be tempted if the price is not too steep.

The tube outer diameter is 283mm give or take a mm which is I believe a little smaller than the Skywatcher 10" OTA's.

I replaced the plastic caps on my OO with AstroZap breathable covers. I like them as you can put them on as soon as you bring the scope inside to keep the dust off the mirror but any moisture can still escape.

http://astrozap.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=246

FLO doesn't stock them but perhaps they should (hint, hint :mad:).

John

Thanks for the suggestions Ed and John - the Astrozap seems to be the shower cap idea taken a little further - looks good :mad:

I wonder if my other half could run me something up like that ???

Archived