Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Light Pollution Filter for DSLR

I am new to astrophography but have been keen on photography for quite some time now. Recently got an Astrotrac and used it with a Canon 550D and 100mm macro lens. i live in a suburban village but the 2 minute photos are all very 'yellow'. Would a CLS filter help or is it better to take shorter sub frames and stack them? many thanks

The CLS clip filter is probably your best bet. If the camera is unmodded, then either is fine... if it is modded, then I think you may need the CCD version... but I'm not 100% on that. As has been mentioned, the CLS does introduce a blue tint to the image, but the stacking process can deal with this

For the 550D, I think astronomiser's advice is that no filter replacement is necessary after removing one of the IR camera filters for Ha reasons.

The corollary to that is that the CLS would be just as fine as the CLS-CCD as the remaining camera filter does a good job in filtering IR radiation. The CLS is cheaper than the CLS-CCD.

Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions

Peter, does that mean that I can preview images on the camera's LCD screen with the custom WB correction?

Does the camera remember the custom WB when it turns on?

The RAWs are uncorrected but are the JPEGs saved already corrected?

I suppose I can make a fake custom WB and try these things out...

yes..

The CWB settings are also available when you process the raws... the jpegs will be saved "corrected"...

CWB settings are "retained" until they are changed... changing to another WB mode won't erase the CWB from the camera

The CWB just needs to be an image where the center portion is "white"... for daylight I normally shoot the obs walls... but i have one of those twist up targets thats 50% grey on oneside and white on the other...

If you shoot under varying light conditions you may need a selection of CWB images as long as these are on the card in the camera you can swap between them...

Nearly all my shooting is RAW anyway...

Peter...

Archived