Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon 350D or meade DSi ii Pro B/W

Steve_Max127

I'm looking to get started in imaging and thinking of either a second hand modified Canon 350D or the Meade DSi ii Pro B/W. I have seen both available for sub £200.

Was going to use my trusted Nikon D50 but from what I have read it may not be a good idea due to the median filter.

I would look at the Canon 1000D but I still need a guide camera of some sort and then the filters so funds are limited.

I have an explorer 250 and a Celestron 80ED scope with a Heq6 Synscan goto mount. Any thoughts or comments most welcome.

Having used both, i would favour the Canon. The DSI was good and i liked the software once it's little querks were sorted.

I think that the Canon is better as in the long run it will prove to be much more versatile.

I am however only a dabbler in imaging and there are some very experienced people on here that will no doubt give you a more in depth appraisal.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I started out with an LPI then went through the DSI's I & II before starting on DSLR imaging...

With the Mono DSI's You will need an LRGB filter (check if they are comign with it) set to go with the mono camera to produce "color" images and the sensor is quite small...

What you get with a DSLR's is a lot big sensor for your bucks...

I wouldnt go older than the 350D and is possible I would stretch to one of the newer cameras starting with the 1000D... the older cameras used to suffer from ampglow making well matched darks a neccessity which eats into the time you have for taking lights... In their day they were good camera but thing have moved on.. saying that if you can get one for the right price ... still a good intro .. i wouldnt pay more than £100-120 for a 350D body and less for a 300D...

When it comes to moding there are several different approaches.. Filter removal or filter repalcement... on the older cams you really want filter replacement unless your willing to spend more money on UV-IR cut filters... otherwise you will end up with bloated stars ...

The newer cams with multiple filters allow you to remove the filter element from directly infront of the sensor ands still have UV/IR cut from the LPF1 filter...

Fiter removal (unless sthe sensor has been moved or a replacement clear glass fitted) also means that you are very unlikely to achieve infinity focus with standard camera lenses although you wont have a prob on scopes... (unless you don't have sufficient inward travel on the newt...)

Peter...

My sig lists the camera that I use.. The DSI's are relegated to guidecam duties these days but they are superb for that purpose...

The 350D doesnt come out that often and is used mainly for IR pass iamging

Thank you John and pete for the feed back. I was edging towards the modified 350D but thinking about it if I'm going to make a lot of use of it over the years I might just go for the Canon 1000d and get a guide camera later.

I'll search out a link to the 1000d mod or does it need to be done by a pro?

Here ya go:

Canon Digital Rebel XSi 450D, 1000D, 500D IR Filter Removal Modification- Page 1 -Configuration & Preparation -by Gary Honis

If you follow it **to the letter** you should be fine, but from experience here are a few tips:

1) Use gloves when handling the CMOS sensor and filters and use dust free containers for the bits you remove - that will save having to re-open it to shift a speck of dust. Mines still not 100% dust free, but thats only in the in the far corners so no real need to get it open again.

2) Get a good, magnetised posidriver - otherwise you will be putting some of the screws in whilst on your back... especially the one under the left side of the viewfinder.

3) Use toothpicks/cocktail sticks for the ribbon connectors.

4) Go slowly.... its not a race.

If you get it working the results are noticeable and instant, a good camera becomes a great camera. The Ha sensitivity is increased by 5x meaning you can do some lovely nebula work. Personally i cant wait for M42 again now ive done the mod :)

Archived