Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What a difference an EP makes...

I take back everything nasty I ever said about my seitz 76-700.

Turns out, for the price i got it (£30), it is actually a fairly decent piece of kit. The only problem is the EPs that it came with should technically be classed as a crime against humanity. I didn't realise just how bad they were until I tried putting my new skywatcher plossls in the old scope. Now, i know these aren't the finest eps in the world, but it was an absolute revelation.

It went from what felt like a 20' FOV in murky, blurry shades of grey with bright red and blue fringes, to an actually fairly crisp and decent image.

I really wish i'd realised how much better this scope could perform with a decent EP, i could have spent £15 on a basic plossl and had a much more enjoyable period of saving up for my 200p.

I was thinking of locking it away in the garage forever, or selling it, but now i think i'll hang on to it as a travel scope. ;)

Many a good scope is ruined because of inferior eyepieces.

What a pity you lost so many good viewing sessions for that reason..

However, better late than never as that daft saying goes.;).

Goodluck with your new Telescope, and you are a lot wiser now.:):p

Ron.

Yup, my (ex) Celestron 114 newt was a passable instrument, until I popped in the Sky Rovers, it then became a most usable tool. The chap I gave it to, along with both the naff 'supplied' EPs and the WAs, is just awestruck with the views he's getting.

Archived