NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Light nights

Robert Watson

Hi All, Justing sitting here thinking should i put the scope or not.What i would like to know is what time does it get dark where you are, I'm in south down N Ireland it gets dark here at 11.00 11.30 but by that time im almost asleep in the chair, and it,s around midnight before it's really dark enought to see all the good stuff.;)

Put your telescope outside, watch some TV or plan your observation session. When the scope has cooled, give yourself 45 mins at the eyepiece then go to bed.

If I am cream crackered, which I currently am because of waking up involuntarily at 4:30am every morning, short sessions are better than slogging it out all night.

Another option is to have a snooze for a couple of hours from 7-9pm. I can't manage this because I am the household slave. ;)

Some people pack away the scope during the summer months and start again in August, seeing astronomy as a seasonal thing as opposed to a constant hobby. I know that this forum encourages me to get out there more often - mainly because of the wonderful observation reports I read on here.

So if I am out tonight, and if I am tired at work tommorow, I'll tell my boss it's SGL's fault for keeping me up...:)

BTW it gets dark here around midnight also, but only in the last few days. A week ago, it seemed to get dark at 1am!!!

i look at the moon or the sun predominantly during summer months... its dark here in dorset from about 11ish till 3 so if im working that puts the mockers on deep sky stuff... i find the moon is just as interesting as deep sky, just read up a little about what your seeing. Looking forward to winter though, deep sky is my first love!

Archived