NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon prime lenses for astrophotography?

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a small refractor for astrophotography but have seen in a few places that Canon L prime lenses also do very well. In particular I am looking at the 200mm 2.8 or 300mm F4 IS or a small refractor. Apparently the camera lenses do not need a flattener/reducer. Has anyone tried these lenses?

Cheers

I've not got any L lenses (maybe one day) but my 50mm does a really nice job. I've also seen some stunning images with old prime lenses, m42 and pentax k mount, so if you have an L prime I'd expect decent results.

I use the Canon 200mm L Series telephoto lens on my Canon DSLR and with my SXVF-M25C and SXVF-H9 ccd cameras and it does work quite well giving a good wide field but although it does have some UD glass elements, there is still some chromatic aberration. Although none of these are prize winners, here are some images taken with it:-

b33_131209_l.jpg

Canon 200mm L Series telephoto lens with SXVF-H9

rosette_250108.jpg

Canon 200mm L Series telephoto lens with SXVF-H9c

ic1396_100907_l.jpg

Canon 200mm L Series telephoto lens with SXVF-H9c (not my best image!!)

ngc7000_010807_l.jpg

Canon 200mm L Series telephoto lens with SXVF-H9c (with Ha filter)

m31_rework_150707.jpg

Canon 200mm L Series telephoto lens with EOS 300D DSLR

Archived