Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Equinox-120 PRO or a Sky-Watcher SKYMAX 180 Pro or even a.....

jordan20

Hi Jordan,

I've owned the 300P and I have the Equinox 120 at the moment but for planetary you wont beat the 180 Mak. You seem to be set on SW, have you had a look around at the other brands out there, Orion, Celestron etc etc.

I had some amazing views of Saturn through the 300P but its a beast of a scope and requires the modified NEQ6 Pro mount, anything less wont take it.

I've not had a chance to use the Equinox yet but the focal length of the Mak should give excellent planetary views.

HTH.

Cheers,

Simon.

The 300 would be vast - unlesss you have a fixed obs I'd bet it would be a real handful. I have seen 10" before and even they are far too big for me to cope with and retain any sense of portability.

That depends what you class as large. Apo wise you'll get the Skywatcher 120 Pro. But you'll be able to buy one of the 6" Achros for a lot less than £1K. But for the planets the 180 Pro is going to have them beat.

I use a 12" dob and it's a beast, i once had the 12" EQ mounted....never again. Besides, i'm finding my 200P dob to be a better planetary performer.

But to answer your question, what's best for visual planets.....the 180 Mak would get my money. Maybe worth looking around the secondhand market and seeing if there is one of the Russian 180 maks around. They are superior to the Skywatcher, better optics and vastly superior baffling. Your £1K should bag a really nice example of one. The Intes Micro Alter M715 Deluxe is the real planet killer. 7" f15 super mak!

Well I picked my Equinox 120 up for £800 which for me is an absolute bargain seeing as they are about £1300 new. You know these things are looked after.

Are you wanting to go new or would a used one be an option?

what about the Vixen NA140SSf ?

or Vixen VC200L

Just been reading about the NA140SSf on Astromart. The thread seems to say the Vixen is comparable to a 5-6" f8 Achro from Synta. Nice views but still with a bit of chromatic abberation.

VC200L is nice scope. Doesn't have the corrector plate, so doesn't have the cool down and dew problems an SCT or Mak will have. I have no idea how they perform visually on the planets because people only seem to buy them for imaging purposes.

Archived